CLOSING DATE: August 25, 2015
AN exciting opportunity has arisen to work with the SNP’s Parliamentary Group of MSPs, as head of communications and research in the Scottish Parliament.
The role would put the successful applicant at the heart of developments in Scottish politics.
Working with the group of 64 SNP MSPs, and leading a central team of press officers and researchers, the position will involve providing press and policy support for MSPs and working closely with the media.
Applicants should have a strong media and political background with good contacts, experience with social media, a firm knowledge of Scottish Government and SNP policy and be able to demonstrate forward planning, strategy and management skills.
Duties and responsibilities include:
* Managing a team of communications officers and research staff to provide press and policy support for SNP MSPs in the Scottish Parliament.
* Managing team workload effectively, including during times of peak activity.
* Handling of significant media issues, including the negotiation and clearance of comments.
* Drafting, editing and proof-reading SNP press releases, comment pieces, statements, quotes and other materials for print, broadcast or online audiences.
* Providing support and editorial guidance in the drafting of Written Questions, motions and amendments.
* Generating proactive coverage for the SNP and supporting the research team to produce projects for development into news lines by the press team.
* Facilitating media bids for SNP MSPs and ensuring relevant briefing is provided beforehand.
* Working with senior communications staff across the party to advise on and oversee the development of media and communications plans and strategies, building on the achievements and success of the SNP in recent years.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following:
* A proven track record in and enthusiasm for communications and organisational management.
* A proven track record of adaptability and flexibility – including a willingness to work evenings and weekends when required.
* Excellent people skills and the ability to lead and motivate the staff team.
* Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
* Excellent awareness of the SNP’s vision and values and high level of political understanding.
* Excellent knowledge and understanding of Scottish Government policy across all policy areas.
* Very good working knowledge of the work of the SNP Group at Westminster, in Europe and at local government level.
* Established media contacts and credibility with journalists, broadcasters and other stakeholder groups.
* Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, gained in a media or communications environment.
* Ability to apply quick, critical thinking to respond to changing situations.
* Strong ICT skills and experience of using social media to engage and build audiences.
* A commitment to working with colleagues across party and government.
* An understanding of and commitment to equality.
Applicants should send a CV with covering letter outlining how you meet the person specification and details of current salary to email@example.com.
Salary will be dependent on experience.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 25 August.
Please note that, under the Members’ Expenses Scheme rules, we are unable to accept applications from anyone who is a close family member of an SNP MSP.