CLOSING DATE: September 30, 2016
Editor – heritage brands
WE are looking for an exceptional candidate to be responsible for generating and managing editorial and art content primarily for Commando, The Broons, Oor Wullie and classic archive projects involving associated brands (including The Beano and The Dandy, but not limited to these) within DC Thomson.
Reporting to the editor-in-chief, the successful candidate will ensure entertaining, informative and engaging material is produced which promotes brand values, on time, within budget and in the appropriate format (including consumer products, communications and digital projects).
There is also a requirement to support brand activity with content generated for group newspapers and online.
The key responsibilities of this role will include:
* Editorial responsibility for Commando, the Broons and Oor Wullie – content (text, artwork, captions, scripts and headings) layout and planning, including the commissioning/sourcing of new and existing art and scripts;
* Setting targets and ensuring brand vision and values are communicated clearly to the whole team;
* Motivating and driving team performance to respond to business and customer needs;
* Monitoring production, staff workload, stock transfer and all editorial costs associated with the titles above;
* Monitoring staff performance and ensuring development, training needs and personal development plans are completed;
* Produce associated brand material for all relevant media platforms (including TV, digital, etc.); and
* Identify opportunities to grow Commando, the Broons, Oor Wullie and associated comic brands through new products and innovations.
In this role, you will be required to generate, capture and communicate creative ideas which build on brand values.
A key aspect will be commissioning in-house or freelance writers and artists, to produce material which meets required standards and briefs (deadline, word count, fee, style, etc.), appropriate for the brand(s).
The responsibility for sourcing all Beano/ Dandy classic/archive material for publication/website(s) is also incumbent.
Sourcing and producing material for all classic/archive annuals and books within Children’s Entertainment, including commissioning new material where appropriate. Provide creative content to develop merchandising products via consumer products.
In addition, an aptitude to maintain and actively seek opportunities to raise the brand profiles and act as an ambassador for DC Thomson and the brands where required.
Manage budgets and costs in line with requirements and within agreed limits and approve purchase as required. Provide timely business information to assist business planning process in line with prescribed reporting format.
Devise long-term strategies for the future direction of the brands to maximise opportunities
The successful candidate will have proven experience and experience of both print and online strategic development. You will have excellent interpersonal and management skills. You will be educated to degree level or have equivalent experience.
For further information, please visit http://careers.dcthomson.co.uk/
Closing date for applications is Friday 30th September 2016.