CLOSING DATE: January 7, 2019
Salary around £30k plus holiday package, pension contribution and private health insurance
SCOTTISH salmon is Scotland and the UK’s no.1 food export with a global reputation for quality.
The industry is an important contributor to the UK economy and supports more than 10,000 jobs in Scotland and across the UK supply chain, from Shetland to Heathrow.
The Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation (SSPO) supports the sector and helps it grow. We work to create the best possible business environment for the Scottish salmon farming sector to flourish. We are looking to move to Edinburgh premises in early 2019.
We wish to employ someone to take on a key communications and public affairs role, to promote the organisation’s interests in the media and with key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will report to the director of Strategic Engagement, helping the organisation respond quickly and accurately to requests for responses from stakeholders including all media, from national and international journalists to the trade press as well as parliamentarians and their teams.
But the role holder will also work proactively with the media to encourage the development of industry-inspired coverage.
The role will also involve managing all SSPO social media channels and develop creative digital content. A thorough working knowledge of the media and public sector is essential while some knowledge of website management is desirable.
The successful candidate will keep the organisation and the industry abreast of emerging national and UK policy developments,topical and relevant breaking news stories and know how to react to them, on behalf of the SSPO.
Your experience, skills and qualities:
* A degree or equivalent in media studies, journalism, public relations, public policy, politics, media design or a related subject.
* A proven ability to deliver communications and advocacy strategies quickly and accurately.
* Experience of dealing with the media: a knowledge of the Scottish political, business and media landscape would also be a distinct advantage.
* A demonstrable ability to deliver social media campaigns.
* Communications skills – the successful candidate must have a clear, confident speaking and writing style and must be willing to become a good networker and relationship builder for the SSPO. You must also be confident at making presentations internally and to small groups.
* You must be flexible in your approach and willing to take on other work as the industry and its external agenda evolves.
* A knowledge of the food and drink sector would be an advantage.
* You should have an inquisitive approach to ensure the organisation’s approach to media issues is robust.
Submit a CV with a covering letter to Hamish Macdonell, director of Strategic Engagement, The Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation, by email to: email@example.com
Closing date for application: Midday, Monday 7th January 2019.
Contact: Hamish Macdonell, director of Strategic Engagement