CLOSING DATE: January 30, 2019
ARE you brimming with creativity and have a desire to work on award-winning kids’ magazines?
DCT Media are looking for a talented, hard-working individual with a flair for writing top-quality features to join them as a Magazine Journalist on their children’s titles.
Based at DC Thomson’s HQ at Meadowside, Dundee, we’ve got an array of fantastic titles, including Shout, Unicorn Universe, Sweet, The Official Jacqueline Wilson Magazine, 110% Gaming, Animals and You and our This Is series.
Joining our hard-working team would give you the chance to work in this fast-paced, busy and creative environment with a particular focus on our Shout and Sweet magazines. We expect you to be full of creative ideas for magazine and online content, with excellent written, communication and grammatical skills as well as a flair for juggling multiple deadlines.
Reporting to our features editor, you will source and produce brand-appropriate, entertaining content for our award-winning titles. You will also contribute to social media, projects and brand extensions within the magazine portfolio.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be knowledgeable about what makes kids/teens tick and have an excellent awareness of relevant YouTubers, celebs, music, TV, film and other trends.
- Create fun, informative and engaging features for the specified audience.
- Have an infinite amount of ideas to turn into great content in every issue.
- Have excellent grammar and proof-reading skills.
- Be organised, efficient and excellent at meeting multiple deadlines.
- Be a pro on social media and have lots of suggestions about how we can drive up our likes and followers across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Video editing skills are a bonus.
- Instinctively know what is and isn’t right for the brand and give feedback to external and internal contacts as required.
- Be brimming with creative ideas for cover sells, covermounts and content that will give our titles shelf pop and ensure we continue to drive sales.
- Build relationships with key internal and external contacts and attend press events as and when required.
- Maintain brand values and consistency of tone and ensure everything is age appropriate.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level or have equivalent experience. You should have an awareness of copyright laws and codes of practice and be able to demonstrate meticulous attention to detail. In addition, it is anticipated you will have excellent communication, interpersonal and IT skills, and a passion for publishing.
So, what’s next?
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and write a chatty letter (500 words or less), telling us all about yourself and why you would be perfect for the job.
To apply, click here.
Remember, personality, passion and a proven record in journalism is what we’re looking for!
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Dundee office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, on-site staff gym, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
For further information, please visit careers.dcthomson.co.uk
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 30th January 2019.