CLOSING DATE: September 13, 2019
Job title: Online night editor
Department: The Scottish Sun Online
WE are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world.
Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Scottish Sun Online – Digital Team of the Year 2018 – is one of the fastest-growing news websites in Scotland – with a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, features, lifestyle and showbiz.
Purpose of role: To lead the Night Team publishing throughout the evening to the same standard as the daytime operation, helping to grow our audience and increase engagement at thescottishsun.co.uk
* Manage the scottishsun.co.uk homepage at night to ensure it is packed with outstanding, creative and engaging news to maximise traffic;
* Editing and polishing stories to ensure the highest standard of presentation, particularly in headlines and pictures;
* Lead the team at night to ensure we are first with breaking news and live stories;
* Manage the production and presentation of newspaper stories with a particular emphasis on identifying the best lines for an online audience;
* Constantly improving the quality of stories and liaising with colleagues across departments to check for updates and fresh lines and pictures;
* Having an instinct for how to ‘sell’ a digital story to get maximum impact on The Scottish Sun’s platforms and also on social media;
* Understanding how to recirculate readers within The Scottish Sun and keep them engaged with our content;
* Leading the team in a constantly adapting working environment that is always striving to find fresh ways to tell news stories;
* Working closely with the Social Media and SEO manager to ensure Scottish Sun content is given maximum exposure on all social platforms;
* Providing feedback to team about mistakes made and how to improve their quality of work;
* Mentoring colleagues to ensure they are able to step in and edit the homepage;
* Using data and analytics to ensure best placement and selling of stories;
* Aiming always to improve the speed of publishing and updating of homepage;
* Helping to innovate and explore new and emerging platforms The Scottish Sun may benefit from publishing on; and
* Working on a rota across seven days.
What we’re looking for from you:
* Digital production experience on a fast-paced national news title;
* A razor-sharp eye for detail and ability to produce quality copy under pressure;
* A keen understanding of Scots Law and the IPSO Editors’ Code of Practice;
* Able to work and communicate effectively with team and management;
* Understands Scottish Sun DNA and how it translates to digital platforms;
* Understands essentials of SEO and social;
* Understands the production process for a news website and its relationship with print;
* Able to produce a news story quickly, accurately and in Scottish Sun style;
* Able to revise junior reporters’ articles to the same standard as print chief sub-editor;
* Capable of helping lead and motivate a team;
* Calmness under pressure;
* Attention to detail and an inquisitive nature;
* Proficient with technology and able to adapt:
* Awareness of the digital media environment, trends and audience behaviours; and
* Awareness of commercial content and ability to ‘sell’ sponsored articles to achieve maximum reach
The company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
For more information, click here.