CLOSING DATE: January 10, 2020
A GREAT opportunity has opened up to join The Courier’s award-winning team.
The Courier is looking for a night news editor to join its news gathering operation.
Working out of DC Thomson Media’s fabulous new headquarters in the heart of Dundee, the successful candidate will be a key member of the newsroom responsible for driving the news agenda in-paper and across our expanding digital footprint.
The Courier is one of Scotland’s leading regional news brands with a laser-like focus on the communities it serves across Perth and Perthshire, Dundee, Angus and the Mearns and Fife.
We are a proud local champion, having given a voice to the people of Tayside and Fife for generations.
Our new night news editor will have a keen knowledge of the regions served by The Courier, a nose for a great news story and a forensic eye for detail.
Working to tight time constraints, the successful candidate’s responsibilities will include generating news leads, managing reporting staff and co-ordinating The Courier’s response to breaking stories.
A self-starter, the night news editor will work closely with the newspaper production team and online editors to ensure our round-the-clock news coverage is always on the front foot.
It is our mission to bring the stories of Courier Country to life in an engaging and exciting manner that will appeal to established and new audiences.
The night news editor will have a strong knowledge of Scots Law and be fully up to speed with media guidelines as laid down by IPSO, the independent media regulator.
Working as part of a close-knit team, you will work accurately and creatively to tight deadlines.
Key requirements of this role include:
* To attend editorial conferences and present the main news list where required;
* To delegate and allocate stories to reporters on the team, ensuring efficient use of staff and resources;
* To initiate ideas for stories, features and campaigns;
* To seek to set the agenda on and off the news pages;
* To work with departmental heads and the senior editorial management team to maximise the quality of the newspaper;
* To work with the production staff to ensure paper / online is as up to date as possible;
* To write stories where appropriate;
* To help manage the news reporting budget, including freelance contributions;
* To assist the editor to develop the news content of The Courier; and
* Maintain working relationships with internal and external customers.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
To apply, click here.
There has never been a more exciting time to join The Courier. We are investing in building a sustainable digital news business while continuing to produce the top quality newspaper we have published for more than 200 years. The night news editor will have a pivotal role in shaping the next chapter for this beloved publication.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Meadowside office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, on-site staff gym, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.