CLOSING DATE: February 3, 2020
DC Thomson Media has an exciting opportunity for a magazine journalist / sub-editor to join the Scottish titles team.
You will be an exceptional features journalist with a passion for Scottish magazines. Working mainly on The Scots Magazine, Scottish Caravans & Motorhomes and brand extensions, there will be the opportunity to contribute to other titles in the stable.
You’ll be bursting with enthusiasm and ideas and the know-how to turn those ideas into great reads.
You will be a brilliant multi-tasker and just as happy writing an in-depth feature as you are sourcing articles from other contributors, sub-editing a variety of content and interviewing celebrities. This varied role requires you to be organised, efficient and enjoy working to deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
You will feel at ease writing for multiple titles across both print and digital platforms, and be able to manage your time effectively.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain an array of experience and skills and the successful candidate will be educated to degree level or have equivalent experience.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
* Generating ideas and researching features;
* Sub-editing features to a high standard and to individual magazine styles;
* Writing regular franchise features;
* Liaising with the design, picture and production teams;
* An excellent command of written English, an eye for details, an awareness of journalism and copyright law and GDPR, and the ability to meet tight deadlines are essential to this role; and
* A working knowledge of Prestige and Adobe InDesign/InCopy would be an advantage.
To research, write and sub-edit feature articles and/or source content suited to the titles’ reader profile, ensuring accuracy and quality of the highest standard.
* To create content through the writing of informative and entertaining articles and/or sourcing appropriate material;
* To research a subject or story and produce content for a variety of titles;
* To sub-edit content and generate headlines in line with house style rules and brand values;
* To generate, capture and communicate creative content ideas which build on brand values, including contributing to online content and other PR activities as directed;
* To deliver effective briefs and liaise with freelance contributors;
* To evaluate content from internal and external contributors and amend as appropriate;
* To maintain brand values and consistency of tone across all publications. Liaise with content providers, picture researchers and designers to populate pages across several titles. Manage content and populate social media channels for publication as required; and
* To work with the production editor to ensure all titles meet their print deadlines.
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and experience:
Relevant degree (English, Journalism, Media Studies) or equivalent. Awareness of journalism and copyright law/Codes of Practice/GDPR. Meticulous attention to detail. Excellent oral/written communication, inter-personal, organisational and IT skills.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
To apply, click here.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Meadowside office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, on-site staff gym, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.