CLOSING DATE: February 23, 2021
DC Thomson Media is changing the way it delivers journalism for a world that is moving faster than ever.
We are creating a series of specialist teams focusing on delivering outstanding and innovative digital journalism for specific audiences, with the core aim of driving digital subscriptions.
As part of this reshaping of our newsroom we are changing our approach to opinion and comment which will now be commissioned and planned for a digital audience.
This new role of head of Comment will be responsible for developing a fresh range of commentary for the P&J and EE newsbrands, which can engage an online audience. Some of this will be pre-planned and some will be live, responding to key events. We see comment as a key element to drive reader subscriptions.
* Source and develop a new and more diverse range of writers on key issues;
* Commission regular comment that will be optimised for digital and then flow into the print product;
* Work alongside senior editors to source comment on a range of topical news issues;
* Develop strong relationships with other team leaders and editors;
* Work with senior editors and the events team on live events and debates that will add value to subscribers;
* Manage a freelance budget for op-ed that will maximise value to the titles;
* Write the leader column in The Press and Journal;
* Be an experienced journalist who has a passion for news and is aware of the key issues in the current political environment;
* Have substantial experience of digital publishing, especially around headline writing, SEO and social media;
* Have a commitment to creativity and new ideas and play a leading role in newsroom transformation;
* Be able to spot the key quotes and news lines in a long piece of writing;
* Be able to work with senior editors and other team leaders to achieve content goals in the short and long-term;
* Be data aware and able to work to key newsroom metrics;
* Be comfortable working with senior opinion writers and politicians on shaping ideas and content; and
* Have detailed knowledge of the Editors’ Code of Practice, GDPR and media law.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 37.5 hours per week from our Aberdeen office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, gym discount, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com