CLOSING DATE: August 9, 2021
NEWS UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The team: We are The Scottish Sun and we care about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
The Scottish Sun is looking to recruit an assistant editor (news and features) on a permanent basis. The role is responsible for working across production, designing brilliant news and features pages, coming up with brilliant headlines and contributing content and production ideas. This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious journalist to develop their production experience.
What will I be doing:
* Writing brilliant headlines and designing sparkling pages for Scotland’s best-selling newspaper;
* Working across news and features including breaking news, court stories, hard-hitting politics, serious investigations, gritty real life, showbiz tales, fun picture stories and editing daily columnists;
* Turning ordinary news or features ideas into a great page or spread;
* Suggesting new angles and follow-ups to the news and features desks;
* Contributing ideas for the main paper and website; and
* Working to our extremely high standards.
What we’re looking for from you:
* Substantial experience in both content and production journalism;
* Great headline writer – headlines are what make The Scottish Sun different from other papers and all our production staff are master craftsmen and women of the English language;
* A real flair for designing Sun pages and spreads, making them stand out from the opposition;
* Adaptability – able to adapt style dependent on the news or feature story;
* Be organised, creative with a keen attention to detail;
* Be self-motivated, brimming with enthusiasm and full of ideas for improving news and features, drawing and presenting them in an imaginative style;
* Have an obsessive interest in news, popular culture and current affairs, bags of drive and confidence and a cracking sense of humour;
* Able to work under pressure of tight and frequent deadlines;
* Be keen to adapt to digital platforms for The Scottish Sun and willing to work flexible hours over a seven-day rota pattern;
* Must have and maintain a wide knowledge of UK news, politics, current affairs and trends, showbiz, TV news, music and popular culture through reading various titles as well as utilising other media platforms daily; and
* Be fully aware of potential legal issues and must always act in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
Life at News:
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes.
We also have eight employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
* A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to five per cent;
* 30 days holiday and up to four volunteering days per year;
* Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave up to two weeks; and
* Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.