CLOSING DATE: September 24, 2021
THE Scottish Sun is recruiting a sub-editor to join its talented team. The ideal candidate will be a first-class journalist with a proven track record in tabloid storytelling, have bags of creativity, a sharp eye for a headline and a flair for the English language.
They must be familiar with working at speed with accuracy, attention to detail and meticulous fact-checking. An instinct for spotting hidden gems in reams of copy is essential.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world.
Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
We are The Scottish Sun, the award-winning newsbrand. The Scottish Sun cares about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
The Scottish Sun is looking for a talented sub-editor on a full-time, permanent basis.
Day to day:
* Polishing reporters’ copy to the highest of standards, in keeping with The Scottish Sun’s inimitable, succinct style;
* Highly skilled in tabloid storytelling. You must be familiar with working to tight deadlines with accuracy and flair;
* Writing eye-grabbing headlines. Headlines are what make The Scottish Sun stand out from the opposition and our production staff are master craftsmen and women of the English language; and
* A keen interest in news, popular culture, showbiz, current affairs and trends. Working flexibly as part of a team across a seven-day rota.
What we’re looking for from you:
* A talented sub-editor and writer with significant experience in production journalism at a top level;
* Bags of drive and a sense of humour. You will be a stickler for the impeccable standards for which The Scottish Sun is renowned;
* Obsessive fact-checker and meticulous attention to detail; and
* Be fully up to speed with potential legal pitfalls and must always act in accordance with the IPSO Code of Conduct.
Life at News
At News UK, some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy and training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes.
We also have eight employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeingof our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition, we also offer:
* A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to five per cent;
* 25 days holiday and up to four volunteering days per year;
* Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave up to week weeks; and
* Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.