CLOSING DATE: October 3, 2021
Contract: maternity cover from November 2021
Salary: competitive DOE
WE have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced editorial designer to join our publications team in Edinburgh as a maternity cover, to help produce our fortnightly flagship title Holyrood – Scotland’s award-winning current affairs magazine.
What you’ll be doing:
Primarily, you will be responsible the design, production and distribution of the fortnightly title, Holyrood magazine, and its related supplements and inserts.
As an integral part of the editorial team, you will work closely with the editor, journalists and publication sales team – managing the editorial workflow, participating in editorial planning, and creating innovative designs for the covers and inside pages of the magazine.
You will maintain relationships with print vendors, reviews costs and process invoices related to the editorial products. In addition, you will also regularly produce Holyrood-branded materials for the events and sales divisions.
What we’re looking for:
The chosen candidate for this highly challenging role will be an organised, creative designer with a strong magazine-design background. Critically, you will have worked previously as part of an editorial team producing a regular publication (weekly, monthly, etc).
Print management or production management experience is also strongly preferred, as this role extends significantly beyond design/layout and includes responsibility for the print process, mailing list and distribution, as well as the costs/financial implications. An interest in politics and current affairs would also be a plus.
* To produce all in-house graphic materials related to the Holyrood brand, including Holyrood magazine, magazine supplements, some client advertisements, event materials, web graphics and promotional materials.
* Create illustration yourself wherever possible. You may also commission external photo shoots/illustration under the direction of the Editor, and as assigned budgets allow.
* Liaising with relevant departments (sales, journalists and art workers) in order to determine and meet rolling deadlines; producing flatplans and establishing word counts; working closely with the editor on front cover design; producing pages through from layout to final sign-off and upload.
* Participating in all editorial planning meetings and contributing suggestions for how to package and structure the content to ensure a compelling and accessible editorial product for our readers.
* Communicating and maintaining relationships with all existing vendors and contributors for all Holyrood products (printers, distributors, photographers, illustrators, editorial contributors).
Applicants must have the following qualifications, skills and experience to be considered for this role:
* Minimum three years’ experience as a designer or art director for a regular, commercial magazine;
* Highly proficient with the Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator);
* A keen eye for detail and a natural flair for designing outstanding layouts and typography;
* Ability to work to house style whilst also pushing boundaries;
* Excellent planning, time management and organisational skills and the ability to set deadlines and targets and meet them;
* Highly-motivated and innovative individual, tackles assignments with enthusiasm and commitment;
* Flexible approach to work, with the ability to work on own initiative or co-operatively in teams;
* Excellence – strive to deliver beyond expectations;
* Professional – ethical, honest and respectful; and
* Collaborative – building partnerships through open communications.
How to apply:
Closing date for this application is 30th September. Applicants need only apply if they have an exact match with the skillsets stated.
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities.
To be considered for this position, please submit a short cover letter along with your CV to email@example.com.