CLOSING DATE: March 27, 2022
STV Studios is one of the UK’s leading content businesses and is Scotland ’s biggest production company. with an impressive track-record of success across drama, entertainment and factual, with commissions spanning BBC One and Two, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC Scotland, Discovery, VH1/MTV and Sky One.
Most recently, STV Studios has been in production with a new six-part prison drama for Channel 4, Screw, on air in early 2022.
Genre-bending immersive competition series Murder Island was commissioned by Channel 4 and aired in autumn 2021, while 25 episodes of new daytime quiz format The Bridge of Lies have been commissioned for BBC One following a highly competitive pitch process.
Due to the increasing success and expansion of the business, a vacancy has arisen for a content lawyer in STV Studios, reporting to the head of Legal, on a permanent basis.
This role will be exposed to all of the legal and business affairs aspects involved in supporting a busy multi-genre television production business and provides an opportunity for the development and application of skills under the supervision of an experienced legal team.
- Preparation of certain agreements relating to development, production and exploitation of television programmes across multiple genres;
- Advising internal clients and production teams on all legal aspects of development and production of television content;
- Styles maintenance and creating production packs for teams using existing templates;
- Ensuring legal compliance of television content produced for UK broadcast including dealing with copyright and other IP issues and consideration of defamation/contempt of court as appropriate;
- Assisting with business affairs issues arising from programme sales activity and general rights management;
- Assisting with GDPR issues and administration as they relate to programme development/production;
- Managing, under supervision, a busy workload across with competing deadlines; and
- Assist in any other aspects of the work of the company as reasonably required.
Skills and experience:
- Approximately two years post qualified experience;
- Experience in commercial contract preparation/administration, preferably in the creative industries;
- Strong knowledge of IP (especially copyright) law to support production teams;
- Demonstrable experience drafting and negotiating contracts within a corporate and commercial environment, TV production or broadcasting experience is preferred;
- Understanding of regulation around broadcasting and television production;
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organisational skills including ability to meet tight deadlines and handle ever changing workloads and priorities;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a positive and proactive attitude to work both independently and collaboratively with others; and
- A genuine interest in television production and ‘content’ production on any platform.
There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV; here are just a few of the perks for you:
- 25 days leave and ninepublic holidays per annum, with the option to buy more through our Holiday Extras scheme, and an extra day’s holiday on your birthday;
- Healthcare cash plan providing company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs;
- Company pension contribution;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Season ticket travel loan;
- On-site occupational health service; and
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts.
We’re happy to talk about hybrid working to help you balance work, life, and to achieve your goals in both – we’re focused on creating an inclusive working environment where colleagues can collaborate, create and thrive to deliver results and perform at their best.
If you have a demonstrable track record of delivery in a related role, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 March 2022. Early applications are encouraged.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, disabled and/or neuro diverse people and those from a lower socio-economic background.
As a Disability Confident employer, we are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Contact: Rachel Harvie