CLOSING DATE: May 9, 2022
STV News is seeking a dynamic and innovative assistant producer to join our newsroom and help supercharge our digital output.
The role is suited to a journalist with at least five years’ experience working in digital publishing and with a detailed understanding of the demands of news websites and social distribution channels.
The assistant producer (sigital) will support the producer (digital) in planning and co-ordinating the delivery of a trusted and engaging live news agenda across a seven-day roster. This will involve close co-operation with newsroom colleagues and directly supporting the digital team to produce content that meets our values and our audience needs.
The successful candidate will be confident working with video, still imagery, text, graphics and interactives. They will have a detailed understanding of what makes a successful digital story and a passion for producing content that succeeds on multiple platforms.
Additionally, they will be proficient in interpreting digital metrics and in using this data to help inform how we serve our audiences on our website, apps and social channels.
This is a key role that requires strong communication skills, significant newsroom experience and an intuitive understanding of digital publishing opportunities.
Scots rely on STV for trusted and accessible reporting. Live news is at the heart of what we do and we have big plans for the coming year. This is a rare vacancy in our team at a senior level and an unique opportunity to make your mark in one of Scotland’s leading newsrooms.
- Delivery of an engaging live news agenda on STV News digital platforms;
- Daily management of the digital production team as delegated by the producer;
- Effective collaboration with newsroom colleagues to ensure the delivery of gathered news assets for digital use;
- Oversight of digital content on all STV News platforms and distribution channels as delegated by the producer;
- Ensure digital output adheres to STV News values and digital publishing policies, with a specific focus on legal requirements and regulatory commitments;
- Generate ideas for reporting that build audience loyalty and enhances the reputation of STV News;
- Monitor performance to inform improvements and meet audience needs;
- Be a leading voice and strong advocate for digital within the newsroom; and
- Maintain effective admin functions as delegated by the producer to ensure the smooth operation of STV News digital publishing.
Skills and experience:
- Detailed understanding of what makes a successful story on digital and social platforms;
- Fluency in using social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to distribute news;
- Proficient in interpreting digital metrics and in using this data to help inform how we serve our audiences;
- Confident working with video, still imagery, text, graphics and interactives;
- Sound editorial judgement and a command of the legal, ethical and regulatory considerations of news;
- Experience of leading a team or a project in a dynamic news environment;
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and quickly in challenging and rapidly changing circumstances;
- Calm under pressure with confident decisions making skills;
- Evidence of creative thinking and innovative ideas for digital storytelling;
- Multi-media skills, including basic video-editing on Adobe Premiere Pro;
- Detailed knowledge of Scottish news, current affairs and social trends; and
- Advanced team working skills to play a full and proactive role in the wider STV News team.
There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV, here are just a few of the perks for you;
- 25 days paid annual leave and nine public holidays per annum;
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday;
- Healthcare cash plan providing company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs;
- Company pension contribution;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Season ticket travel loan;
- On-site occupational health service; and
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts.
To apply please email a full CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 9 May 2022
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, disabled and/or neuro diverse people and those from a lower socio-economic background.
As a Disability Confident employer, we are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.