CLOSING DATE: September 20, 2022
DC Thomson is a privately-owned family business currently undertaking a significant transformation programme to deliver a scalable media company, driven by technology, data, and talent. People are at the heart of everything we do and building audiences into long lasting, loyal communities is a key priority over the next five years.
We have an exciting portfolio of media brands including The Stylist Group, Puzzler Media as well as communities in energy, local and national news, women’s and children’s magazines, lifestyle, teaching, crafts, and sport. While our roots are firmly in publishing, with a portfolio of newspapers and magazines, DC Thomson has diversified into digital technology, radio, TV, and events.
Our stations – Original 106, Kingdom FM and Pure Radio Scotland – have seen record audience growth over the last year and aim to be market-leading radio stations.
News, sport and the local issues of the day form a key part of what makes our radio stations sit at the heart of their communities and why our stations are loved by their listeners.
We have an unique opportunity for a talented and ambitious broadcast journalist to join our progressive and dynamic news team within our Radio division.
As a deputy head of Radio News, you will support in leading our team of broadcast journalists across our three stations – Original 106, Kingdom FM and Pure Radio. On a wider level, this is an opportunity to join Scotland’s award-winning, leading news organisation, DC Thomson.
The role will support the head of Radio News in leading the news team and will be one of the main voices on air, reading news and sport bulletins for our three stations. The ideal candidate will have strong voice delivery skills with an air of authority, distinctiveness, and credibility. If you are looking for the next step in your broadcasting career with the opportunity to grow and develop your leadership skills, we’d love to hear from you.
You will support the delivery of news output across all DC Thomson radio stations, in line with the news agenda and will include but not limited to:
* Write scripts, conduct interviews, edit audio and create bulletins appropriate for DC Thomson’s radio stations;
* Present and edit news and sport bulletins with an awareness of legal and Ofcom requirements;
* Maintain and develop a strong network of local contacts across all broadcast areas;
* Manage the team of reporters while on shift to ensure resources are put to best use delivering the highest quality content for DC Thomson’s radio stations when running the desk. Ensure reporters follow through on the news agenda that’s been set by the head of Radio News;
* Update station websites and social media; and
* Assume role as team leader when head of Radio News is not on shift and performing management tasks as required.
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and experience:
* You will be experienced and qualified in broadcast journalism with a sound knowledge of the regulatory and legal framework required to deliver high-impact, relevant and impartial news bulletins;
You will be an expert on regulatory, legal and moral issues related to broadcast news – with an in-depth knowledge of Ofcom guidelines;
* You will have a keen eye for a story and the ability to work to short deadlines;
* You will be comfortable working in a fast-paced and demanding news environment, with the ability to make crucial decisions about stories and content, often at short notice, and handle multiple tasks at once. This includes servicing our websites and social media pages to the highest industry standards;
* You will have an awareness of key local news and sports issues across Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Fife and Tayside;
* You will have first-rate presentation skills, as you will be expected to become one of our main voices on air, reading news and sport bulletins for our three stations; and
* You must have a driving licence, and be willing to work early mornings and roughly one weekend a month.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week. Your location is flexible as you will be required to travel to our offices in Aberdeen, Dundee and Kirkcaldy on a regular basis. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.