CLOSING DATE: December 20, 2013
Position ID: EDTGH1MQ
Job Type: Temporary
What’s the job?
Where do I work?
The Sun, News UK (Glasgow Office)
Who’s my manager?
Why are we here?
To help attract more readers to enjoy our papers and digital products seven days a week. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative product available.
How do we contribute?
The art desk is responsible for the ‘look’ of the newspapers. To enhance the news/features/sports pages with creativity and graphic skill so that we may display content to our readers with the most visual impact possible.
What’s my personal contribution?
To contribute to the various tasks of the desk on any given day with a consistent attitude to the work and a calm, organised approach to completing the job by deadline each day.
What are my accountabilities?
You will be:
* Responsible for ‘building’ pages using Hermes either from start via rough schemes or finishing existing Hermes pages;
* Competently use Photoshop and Illustrator in order to dress news, features and sport pages with the unique finesse of a Sun page;
* A strong graphic appreciation will enable you to display content in a way most accessible to our readers and with a high visual impact;
* To source the most relevant images from Nica, and be able to perform a solid standard of colour correction and image manipulation in order to display the artwork in the best way;
* The ability to multi-task and cope with the particular workflow of a national newspaper is essential to work on the Art Desk as is a calm and organised approach to their work;
* Striking up good working relationships with colleagues in other areas is vital; and
* You’ll be keen to adapt to digital platforms for The Sun and willing to work flexible hours over a seven-day rota pattern.
Must Haves (skills and behaviours)
* Clear communication skills;
* An obsessive interest in current affairs and popular culture, bags of drive and confidence and a cracking sense of humour;
* Able to work under pressure of tight and frequent deadlines;
* Well organised;
* Be a team player;
* Adaptability – able to adapt style dependent on the story; and
* Any knowledge of web design and video-editing software would also be useful skills looking ahead to the future.
Applications close midday December 20 2013.
To apply, click here.