CLOSING DATE: February 15, 2015
Job: Stakeholder and communications officer
Start date: To be agreed
Reports to: Head of Communications Scotland
Salary: £28,000 – £30,000
Application deadline: Midnight 15/2
Interview method: Exercise followed by panel interview
Interview date and location: 24/2 in Edinburgh
About Smart Energy GB
We are an independent organisation, created by government, to develop one of the largest national behaviour change campaigns Great Britain has ever seen.
Between now and 2020, every British home will have the opportunity to upgrade to new gas and electricity smart meters which will utterly transform the way we all buy and use energy and pave the way to a smarter, more energy-efficient future.
Smart Energy GB is developing the national public engagement campaign, to support the smart meter-rollout, and ultimately drive adoption and usage of smart meters by every British home over the next five years.
Specifically our campaign will:
- Raise awareness of smart meters, with a view to transforming what is currently a little-known technology into one that is commonplace and used by all.
- Help build confidence in and enthusiasm for smart meters by helping people see the benefits. Smart meters will give us all greater control over the gas and electricity we’re using and spending and serve as a platform for a whole new generation of smart products and services in the future.
- Motivate sustained usage of smart meters in order to reduce energy consumption.
Smart Energy GB actively encourages applications from those groups currently under-represented in our sector. We’re building a team that is able to understand the needs of and effectively communicate with the whole of our diverse nation. So, if you’re applying for a job with us, we’d like to hear how you can help us do this.
We get out of bed in the morning because team work, communication and creativity will help us change the future of Great Britain. We are passionate, excited, caring, collaborative and confident.
We’re a small, and perfectly-formed, team based in King’s Cross and with colleagues in Edinburgh and Cardiff to support our work in the nations. We have an exciting mission, a start-up feel, and love what we do. We are flexible, eager to learn and hugely motivated by the challenge ahead.
Every member of our team goes above and beyond, helps one another out and contributes to the achievement of our ambitious goals. We think it’s only right for us to reward them accordingly:
- Competitive pension scheme
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Subsidised gym memberships
- Season ticket loan
- Five days annual volunteer days
- Option to buy additional annual leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare voucher scheme
Purpose of the job
The stakeholder and communications officer will contribute to Smart Energy GB’s engagement activity in Scotland and play a key role in planning and executing a series of activities that will deliver tangible results.
Working with the head of Communications Scotland and colleagues in London, the post will develop and maintain relationships with key audiences and work to deliver and effective campaign for the smart meter roll-out across Scotland.
- Working closely with colleagues in London, including those managing the partnerships programme, manage Smart Energy GB’s Scottish stakeholder communications database
- Help build and maintain relationships with key stakeholder groups
- Organise a series of stakeholder engagement events including party conferences
- Represent Smart Energy GB at stakeholder events and conferences as required
- Provide briefings to the CEO and directors to support the programme of one-to-one meetings with key Scottish stakeholders
- Monitor Scottish and Westminster Parliamentary events and committee reports to ensure Smart Energy GB contributes as appropriate
- Monitor media coverage and comment across the Scottish media and advise on and deliver any required responses or opportunities to communicate Smart Energy GB’s message
- The role will involve a certain amount of travel within Scotland and to London
Skills, experience and competencies
- Experience of working in a busy communications office
- Knowledge and experience of Scotland’s political landscape and media environment
- Track record of planning and delivering effective stakeholder communications activities through a number of channels
- Ability to take on responsibility and use initiative to prioritise work and to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills (verbal/writing) with first-rate attention to detail
- Appreciation of the objectives and activities of Smart Energy GB
- A demonstrable understanding of the variety of people and communities across the country and an appreciation of the value that this brings
- Creative, energetic and enthusiastic approach to communications
- Experience of delivering stakeholder communications for national or local campaigns
- Professional memberships of public affairs and /or public relations bodies
Please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
For an informal discussion about the role, or if you have any questions, please contact John MacNeil, head of Communications Scotland, firstname.lastname@example.org / 0131 247 7513
Contact: Mikael Nilsson