ALL singers – from beginner to experienced – are welcome to take part in a day of workshops, performances and concert in Linlithgow.
The Singers Gathering 2016 features as tutors and performers – Moira Craig and Carolyn Robson, Karen Dietz and Jimmy Hutchison, with Niamh Boadle as the Young Traditional Singer of Merit.
Susan Streater, convener of the organisers, the TMSA Edinburgh & Lothians Branch, said: “This event is aimed at community singing groups and individual singers and there’s no need to be able to read music, as it is taught by ear during the day.
“We are very pleased with the line-up of artists who will be teaching and performing and everyone should leave with something new they’ve learned.”
On Saturday 20 February, participants will have a choice of afternoon and morning workshops, including The Muckle Sing – a massed group harmony session, taking part in the afternoon performance platform and can attend a concert in the evening.
The daytime events are based at the Queen Margaret Hall, Blackness Road, Linlithgow from 10am to 5.00pm and concert is at the Star and Garter Hotel Function Room, from 7.30pm.
Participants can attend for the day events or concert only and there is an all-in-one ticket which offers the best value.
More details at www.eltmsa.org.uk or tel: 0795 191 8366 or book online https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/singers-gathering-2016-tickets-20282510535 or tickets will be available on the door on the day.
Notes to editors:
* Publicity photos of all the performers are available electronically from Fiona Campbell, please tel: 07951 918366 (Fiona) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for them or any other queries. The photo attached is of a previous Singers Gathering workshop in 2014.
* Craig and Robson - Moira Craig and Carolyn Robson were previously our Muckle Sing tutors during Singers’ Gathering 2009 in Bathgate, as part of the trio Craig, Morgan and Robson. Many who attended then are still singing the splendid arrangements that they taught, and we look forward to some more glorious harmony. They don’t often venture north of the border (although Moira is Scottish and Carolyn Northumbrian) so do grasp this great opportunity! Moira and Carolyn will take a morning workshop as well as the afternoon Muckle sing, and perform in the evening concert.
* Karen Dietz - Originally from Massachusetts, Karen is a highly-experienced musician, performer, teacher and musical director. She is passionate about musical performance and education. She has been resident in East Lothian for several years where she is at the hub of many musical activities, directing several choirs, teaching guitar and performing both solo and with various local and nationally known musicians, and has made a number of recordings. https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/scotlandsings/link-pages/karen-dietz/ Karen will take a morning workshop as well as performing in the evening concert.
* Jimmy Hutchison came from South Uist – his mother a Gaelic speaker, his father from Glasgow. He also spent some time in Ireland, increasing his already varied repertoire of traditional songs: many of his Scots songs were gleaned from the ‘source singers’ he met on his travels, such as Jeannie Robertson, Jimmie McBeath, the Stewarts of Blair and old Davie Stewart. See also: http://www.thetraditionbearers.co.uk/jimmyhutchison/ Jimmy will host an afternoon talk/workshop and sing in the evening concert.
* Niamh Boadle as the Young Traditional Singer of Merit is sponsored by TMSA Aberdeen branch.
The organisers are the Edinburgh and Lothians Branch of the Traditional Music & Song Association of Scotland (TMSA) which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
TMSA is registered as a Scottish Charity SCO03819 & a company limited by guarantee No: 199976. Registered Office: The Signal Box, 5 Appin Lane, Edinburgh EH14 1JL.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by TMSA. You too can post media releases on allmediascotland.com. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/newsdipper for your very own media releases feed…
Check out too twitter.com/allMusicPR.
To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.