A NEW app is set to help Edinburgh’s rescue dogs and cats in search of their new owners.
The Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home app, available for both Apple and Android, contains the profiles of animals in their care who are currently available for rehoming.
Profiles contain information like age, sex, breed and size, in addition to a description of their individual personalities and requirements.
The app is the first of its kind in the UK, and is expected to significantly improve the animals’ chance of finding forever homes, especially for those who have been waiting months, or even years, for their perfect match.
Nicola Gunn, director of fundraising and communications, at Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home, said: “The dogs and cats in our care never give up hope that someone who loves them will walk through our door.
“We have many long-term residents who are especially desperate to find their perfect match, and we are thrilled that our new app gives them the opportunity to reach out to potential forever humans.
“The app is easy to navigate and gives users all the essential information about our available animals. The next step is a face-to-face meeting at Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home, where we hope sparks will fly.”
The new app was developed by a creative team at FanDuel: Sky Welch, Robert Hewitt and Corinna Bruce, on behalf of Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home.
Corinna said: “In FanDuel, we’re allowed to spend ten per cent of our working time learning new things and working on side projects. Sky, Rob and myself wanted to make something for a charity we cared about, and that was Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home.
“We hope to make a difference to the dogs and cats’ lives by volunteering our time and skills to make this mobile app.”
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home was founded in 1883 to rescue, reunite and rehome dogs and cats across Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Operating an ‘open door policy’ in relation to breed and size, it continues to work tirelessly to find new homes for hundreds of unwanted pets each year.
Media and photo enquiries:
marketing and communications officer
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home
+44 (0) 79 851 556 83
Notes for editors:
1. Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home was founded in 1883 to rescue, reunite and rehome dogs and cats across Edinburgh and the Lothians. It works in partnership with the Council and police services and has an open door policy, accepting any dog or cat that reaches it in need, whatever shape, breed or size they may take. The Home will never put a healthy dog or cat down, and work tirelessly to find a permanent loving home for each of them, however long it takes. To find out more, visit www.edch.org.uk.
2. App screenshots available at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hfaex8f1dhj38l/AAAvPzWUBs-E3upQ2rVoPt8ya?dl=0
3. The Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home app is available for download for iOS at the Apple App Store and for Android on Google Play.
4. Excluding veterinary treatment, the basic cost for Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home to keep a dog for a year is £604.58 and a cat is £261.07. In 2016, the home cared for 2,645 dogs and 1,060 cats.
5. FanDuel is a web-based fantasy sports game, based in Edinburgh’s Quartermile. Visit www.fanduel.co.uk
MEDIA RELEASE issued by Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home. You too can share your stories (aka press or media releases), on this site. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/scotsbulletin for your very own media releases feed…
Check out too twitter.com/allEdinburghPR.
Stay connected with our various twitter feeds: Charities, Drink, Education, Energy, Fashion, Film, Food, Gardens, Legal, Motors, Music, Outdoors, Property, Science and Sports. And not forgetting Finance, Theatre, Travel, Festivals, Visual Arts, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and Stirling.
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home contact details…
Contact: Julie Thomson