Local artist enlists the help of Scottish music legends to promote her sustainability message
and raise vital funds for the Edinburgh Children’s Hospital Charity
WHEN the ‘Aff Yir Rocker’ Oor Wullie sculpture came up for auction, there was only one place it was truly destined for.
Created by Scottish artist, Wendy Helliwell, ‘Aff Yir Rocker’ is composed of upcycled garments worn and loved by some of the country’s biggest names in music, and so it was fitting that it should find a home at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange where many of these legendary rock stars have performed over the years.
This year marks 110 years since the Edinburgh Corn Exchange was built, and exactly 20 years since it was renovated and reopened as a music and events venue.
During that time, hundreds of performers have taken to the stage there, from breakthrough artists to music legends.
And so, to mark this momentous milestone, owner, Paul DeMarco, made it his mission to secure the sculpture, outbidding the competition and helping to raise a substantial amount of money for the Edinburgh Children’s Hospital Charity.
Proudly sponsored by Coulters, ‘Aff Yir Rocker’ took six weeks to create and features garments donated by the likes of Midge Ure, KT Tunstall, Wet Wet Wet, Jim Kerr, Fish, Hue and Cry, Red Sky July, The Wendy’s, Jim Kerr, Davy Henderson, Richard Jobson and Shirley Manson.
The result is a celebration of Scotland’s rich musical talent, as well as a comment on the importance of sustainability.
Speaking after the sale of her sculpture, artist, Wendy, said: “The Edinburgh Children’s Hospital Charity has always been very close to my heart as my son was a neo-natal baby for the first four weeks of his life and he may not be here today if it wasn’t for the expertise and dedication of the hospital team.
“I was therefore thrilled to be able to help raise vital funds for this great cause. I was equally delighted that the Edinburgh Corn Exchange was the winning bidder. I’m hoping it will become a focal point at the venue.
“He might even collect a few more famous signatures at future concerts!”
Commenting on his purchase, venue owner, Paul, said: “I’m delighted to be bringing home the ‘Aff Yir Rocker’ Oor Wullie to the Edinburgh Corn Exchange where he rightfully belongs.
“The sculpture is not only a fitting tribute to the incredible performances we’ve hosted here over the past 20 years, it’s also a timely reminder of the importance of sustainability.
“Just as Wendy has given each of the upcycled garments a new purpose, we have given the Edinburgh Corn Exchange a new lease of life, taking on the listed building in 1999 and transforming it into the award-winning events venue it is today.
“We’ll certainly be giving Oor Wullie the rock star treatment when he’s officially installed!”
Notes for editors:
* The Oor Wullie Bucket Trail featured more than 200 hand-painted sculptures of the famous cartoon character displayed in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, and Aberdeen throughout summer 2019. Sales from the auction of the sculptures have totalled over £1.29million.
* The ‘Aff Yir Rocker’ Oor Willie sculpture will be available to view at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange from October 2019.
* For more information on artist Wendy Helliwell, head to www.wendyh.com.
* The Edinburgh Corn Exchange is an award-winning events venue and events promoter located in Scotland’s capital city. The family-run business runs a wide range of events throughout the year, with a dedicated team of experienced events experts on-hand to ensure each one is unique and memorable.
* For more information on the Edinburgh Corn Exchange, head to www.edinburghcornexchange.com.
* The owner of the Edinburgh Corn Exchange, Paul DeMarco, is available for comment for any music, events or business-related features you may be working on.
* To contact McCosh Communications, email email@example.com, tel 07742092661.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by McCosh Communications. You too can share your stories (aka press or media releases), on this site. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/scotsbulletin for your very own media releases feed…
Stay connected with our various twitter feeds: Charities, Drink, Education, Energy, Fashion, Film, Food, Gardens, Legal, Motors, Music, Outdoors, Property, Science and Sports. And not forgetting Finance, Theatre, Travel, Festivals, Visual Arts, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and Stirling.
McCosh Communications contact details…
Contact: Rebecca McCosh