Why there’s never been a better time to master the art of woodwork
FOR many people, the hasty switch to home working meant setting up a makeshift office at the kitchen table. For others, it involved making do with a flat-pack desk and an uncomfortable chair in the corner of a bedroom. But for those considering switching to home working on a more permanent basis, it may be time to invest in something altogether more inspiring.
And what could be more inspiring than sitting down each morning at a bespoke work desk, lovingly handmade by you under the direction of a master craftsman within the picturesque Carbeth Guthrie Estate?
Derek Annand, of Tabula Rasa Design, has spent years honing his skills, creating bespoke furniture from live edge timber slabs, giving each carefully chosen piece of wood a new lease of life.
From shelves and desks, to wall art – each piece is meticulously handcrafted to showcase the natural beauty of every knot, burr, and wane. The results are a perfect blend of functionality and aesthetics. For Derek, transforming a fallen tree into something equally beautiful and practical is a passion, and one that more and more people are keen to share.
As well as seeing a dramatic increase in commissions for bespoke work desks, Derek is witnessing a huge increase in the demand for his woodwork courses, which he attributes to the surge in home working.
Derek explains: “If an office space is to become a permanent feature in your home and you plan to spend around eight hours there each day, it needs to work on a practical level, but it also needs to inspire productivity and creativity.”
Taking place just ten miles from Glasgow, within the picturesque Carbeth Guthrie Estate in Blanefield, Tabula Rasa Design offers a selection of woodwork courses for a range of abilities.
Attendees can learn how to hand-make their own desk from a hardwood live edge slab with contrasting timber legs, for example.
Covering a variety of traditional and modern carpentry techniques, attendees leave with a completely bespoke desk and a wealth of new skills.
Notes for editors
- Tabula Rasa Design was founded by Derek Annand and specialises in bespoke, handcrafted furniture made from live edge timber slabs. The trademark designs feature individually hand-cut inlays and patchwork, using rare and exotic timber and metals. Not afraid to push the boundaries of contemporary design with passion and creativity, their furniture is not just for function – each item is a piece of art.
- The Tabula Rasa Design workshop and showroom can be found at Carbeth Guthrie Estate, Blanefield, G63 9AT.
- Shop the latest Tabula Rasa Design items at etsy.com/uk/shop/DesignTabulaRasa.
- Hi-res images are available upon request.
- For more information about Tabula Rasa Design or to book a place at a workshop, head to www.tabularasadesign.co.uk, email email@example.com, or call Derek on 07895 784 878.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by McCosh Communications. You too can share your stories (aka press or media releases), on this site. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/scotsbulletin for your very own media releases feed…
Stay connected with our various twitter feeds: Charities, Drink, Education, Energy, Fashion, Film, Food, Gardens, Legal, Motors, Music, Outdoors, Property, Science and Sports. And not forgetting Finance, Theatre, Travel, Festivals, Visual Arts, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and Stirling.
McCosh Communications contact details…
Contact: Rebecca McCosh