HMV still expects the boys to turn it around over the course of the week, as TV
and radio promotion kicks in, but these Day One sales show that this week’s chart
will be a close run thing. Part of the problem for Westlife is that their ‘Face
to Face’ album continues to sell really well, with some fans preferring to access
the track that way rather than buying it as a single.
This initial sales trend also underlines that, while both singles are contenders
for the Christmas No.1 (officially announced Christmas Day), Nizlopi may be better
placed as a ‘grower’ to challenge the official X Factor winner’s song ‘That’s My
Goal’, when it’s released midweek next Wednesday, 21st December 2005.
Other Christmas releases out yesterday by The Crazy Frog (‘Jingle Bells’) and
Robbie Williams (‘Advertising Space’) barely made it into the top 10 best sellers,
which effectively already rules them out as serious contenders for the Xmas No.1
Says HMV singles buyer, Stewart Allan: “There’s definitely been a buzz building around Nizlopi and, while it wouldn’t be a complete shock if they pipped Westlife to the No.1 spot this week, I’d have to
admit that it would still come as a bit of a surprise, especially after their
stunning ‘Record of the Year’ success at the weekend.
“I still think the X Factor winner will land the Christmas No.1, but Nizlopi’s performance to date shows that HMV and William Hill were right to make them second favourites ahead of Westlife.”
REVISED HMV PREDICTIONS FOR THE CHRISTMAS No.1 SINGLE * (inc. William Hill latest
1. X-Factor winner – title tba (21/12) William Hill Odds 2/5;
2. Nizlopi ‘JCB Song’ odds 15/8;
3. Westlife & Diana Ross ‘When You Tell Me That You Love Me’ odds 11/1;
4. Girls Aloud ‘See the Day’ (19/12) odds 33/1;
5. Eminem ‘When I’m Gone’ (19/12) odds 50/1;
6. Keedie with the England Cricket Team ‘Jerusalem’ odds 25/1;
7. Coldplay ‘Talk’ (19/12) odds 40/1;
8. McFly ‘Ultraviolet / Ballad of Paul K’ odds 50/1;
9. Robbie Williams ‘ Advertising Space’ odds 33/1;
10. Mariah Carey / ‘Don’t Forget About Us’ odds 50/1
* w/c 19 Dec – chart announced 25 Dec
YOU too can post a media release on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.
Contact: Gennaro Castaldo (HMV) 0207 432 2033 firstname.lastname@example.org