LESLIE’S Bar in Edinburgh has today announced it will be hosting a series of malt whisky tutored tastings as part of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August.
The Victorian-era bar on Ratcliffe tTerrace will play host to some Scotland’s leading distilleries.
Macallan, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Talisker and Springbank distilleries have already confirmed their attendance.
Joint managing director, Mr David Stewart, of D.M. Stewart Ltd, owners of Leslie’s Bar, said:
“With so many people from around the world congregating in Edinburgh, it seemed the perfect time to stage a whisky festival. We know whisky is one of the ‘must-do’ activities for visitors to Scotland, so we are sure it will be a great success.
“Leslie’s is a founding member of the Whisky Bars of Edinburgh and, consequently, many of our staff have gained the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre’s certificate in Whisky expertise.
“Leslie’s Bar (1896) is the best-preserved Victorian local bar in Edinburgh and a perfect setting for small groups of whisky lovers to learn and appreciate the subtle qualities of our nation’s drink.”
Chris Conway from ScotlandWhisky, who helped establish the Whisky Bars of Edinburgh and its sister group in Glasgow, added “This is a great initiative from Leslie’s Bar and we were delighted to have assisted. Whisky is one of Scotland’s globally recognised achievements and visitors want to find out more about it while here. These masterclasses will allow them to do that and encourage them visit a few distilleries as well.”
The festival at Leslie’s Bar runs from 9th August 2010 until 27th August 2010, with six whisky tastings each day.
Tickets cost £10 per person and can be booked directly from the Fringe box office on 0131-226-0000.
Each tasting comprises of a tasting of four malts and are limited to a maximum of 15 people.
Ensuring that the festival is an ‘all-Scottish production’, Stewart Brewing, makers of the award-winning Edinburgh Gold, will be hosting a number of beer tastings as well.
Taste@Leslies (Venue 276):
Notes for the editor
- Leslie’s Bar, 45-47 Ratcliffe Terrace, Edinburgh EH9 1SU. www.lesliesbar.com
- Leslie’s Bar is owned by DM Stewart which also owns the The Abbotsford Bar and The Guildford Arms in Edinburgh.
- Whisky Bars of Edinburgh’ is a group of the ten leading whisky bars in the city that joined together in 2009 to attract visitors to the capital and promote their high-quality whisky experience to tourists. The scheme was created under the auspices of ScotlandWhisky, Scotland’s national whisky tourism initiative. www.whiskybarsofedinburgh.com
- The Edinburgh Fringe festival was established in 1947 and is the biggest arts festival in the world, running during August each year in Scotland’s capital. In 2009, the Fringe staged 34,265 performances of music, comedy and theatre, selling over 1.8 million tickets.
- Further information about ScotlandWhisky and its Embassy network is available at www.scotlandwhisky.com. ScotlandWhisky is supported by The Scotch Whisky Association, The Scotch Whisky Experience, Scottish Enterprise, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, VisitScotland and its membership.
LESLIES FRINGE SHOW TIMETABLE AUGUST 2010
Ale events, four per day 2.00/ 3.00/ 4.00/5.00 p.m
Whisky events, six per day 12.00/ 1.00/ 2.00/ 3.00/ 4.00/ 5.00 p.m
|WEEK 1/2/3||FIRESIDE SNUG||ALESIDE SNUG|
|Monday 9th 16th 23rd||GLENLIVET||GLENGOYNE|
|Tuesday 10th 17th 24th||SPRINGBANK||TOMATIN|
|Wednesday 11th 18th 25th||CLASSIC MALTS||STEWART BREWING|
|Thursday 12th 19th 26th||MACALLAN||STEWART BREWING|
|Friday 13th 20th 27th||GLENMORANGIE||STEWART BREWING|
Leslie;s Venue No 276 : TASTE WHISKY@ LESLIES TUTORED TASTING
Leslies Bar & Distilleries
Leslies Bar 45 Ratcliffe Terrace, Edinburgh 0131-226-0000
If you would like further information or photography, please contact:
Tel: 0131 478 7120
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Whisky Heritage. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.