AROUND 30 members and guests from the Burgesses Guild of the City of Aberdeen will mark the 70th anniversary of Camphill on Wednesday (June 16) evening with an insight into the its foundation in wartime Aberdeen.
The Burgesses will hear how the Camphill pioneers, who had been planning a community to provide education and support for children with special needs, were welcomed into Aberdeen as refugees, after fleeing from the Nazi annexation of Austria.
With the support of eminent Aberdonians, including the then principal of the University of Aberdeen Sir William Hamilton Fyfe, Camphill Home for Boys and Girls opened at Camphill House in Milltimber on June 1, 1940.
Local support was to prove vital because, at the time of the opening, all the male refugees were actually interned, as aliens, in the Isle of Man.
During their visit, Burgesses and guests will tour the Murtle Campus of Camphill School Aberdeen to learn more about the work of the internationally recognised centre for special needs’ education.
They will also hear about the other charities in Camphill Aberdeen City and Shire that provide training for young adults, personal development opportunities for adult with special needs and Simeon Care for the Elderly.
More than 700 people live and work in Camphill communities in the Aberdeen area. Internationally, there are 100 centres with 10,000 people across Europe, the USA, Canada, Russia, Africa and India.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Ken McEwen PR. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.