Issued on behalf of Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) and the Moray Council….
THE Secretary of State for Scotland Michael Moore met with members of the new Moray Task Force in Elgin today to hear of the concerns for the area’s future.
Begins a spokesperson: “The meeting was called following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Tuesday that the Nimrod programme was being cancelled, effectively closing RAF Kinloss where the aircraft is based, and that the Tornado fleet was to be reduced. Tornados are based 15 miles from Kinloss at RAF Lossiemouth.
“Any proposed reduction in the size of the Tornado fleet could see the Lossiemouth base closed, taking with it 3,370 jobs and the £90m annual contribution to the local economy.
“The Task Force was established the day after the announcement, and comprises representatives from local government, Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE), local business leaders and the voluntary sector.”
Speaking after the meeting, Moray Council Convener, Cllr George McIntyre, said that the Secretary of State was in listening mode.
“I’m satisfied that he heard us loud and clear, and recognised the impact of such a closure on a relatively small area like Moray,” he said.
“We informed him that we will be campaigning hard to secure the future of Lossiemouth as an RAF base for Tornados, and will present a sound argument against transferring the remaining squadrons to RAF Marham in Norfolk, which is where we understand they could be destined.
“For his part, he said that no decision has been made as to the future location of the Tornado fleet, but recent press reports say otherwise.
“We are determined to fight to keep RAF Lossiemouth, and I have issued an invitation to the Prime Minister, David Cameron, to come to Moray and see for himself what the impact of his decisions would be on this rural area.”
Calum MacPherson, Highlands and Islands Enterprise Area Manager for Moray, said the Task Force members had welcomed the opportunity to put their concerns to the Scottish Secretary.
“All sections of the community across Moray are united in their shock at the decision to pull the RAF out of Kinloss and the present threat to thousands more jobs supported by Lossiemouth.
“Moray’s association with the RAF goes back 70 years and there will hardly be a family or business around these bases which won’t be affected by these decisions and deeply concerned for their future.
“The business community, enterprise and council leaders and the voluntary sector are speaking with one voice and our message is clear.
“We urgently need greater clarity on the speed of the planned rundown at Kinloss, and access to personnel who may wish to stay in the area and put their skills to use locally.
“And we mean to take our campaign to save Lossiemouth to the highest level, to protect this vital economic lifeline which is a core part of the Moray community.”
The spokesperson: “In his statement to the House of Commons on the 19th, the Prime Minister said: ‘We owe it to communities up and down the country who have supported our armed forces for many years to engage with them before final decisions are taken.’
“On behalf of the Moray Task Force, Cllr McIntyre has today issued an invitation to the Prime Minister to do just that, and to see for himself how much the RAF is part of the Moray community.
“A study published earlier this year by Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) showed that RAF Kinloss currently supports 2,341 jobs on the base and in the wider community, and contributes £68m to the local economy every year.
“The base at Lossiemouth supports a further 3,370 jobs, and contributes £90.3m annually.”
Contacts: Peter Jones on 01343 563601/07974 191318 or Raymond Shewan on 01343 563046/07967 748826. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Note to editors:
Text of Cllr McIntyre’s letter below:
Dear Prime Minister
I, and members of our Moray Action Group, local MP and MSP have met today with your Secretary of State for Scotland, Michael Moore.
After a full meeting it was clear there are still many questions left to answer over the future of RAF Lossiemouth.
Given your commitment in the House to listen to the views of the local communities affected before any final decision is made on Tornado or any other defence cuts, we feel it is imperative that you visit Moray at the earliest opportunity to do just that.
We therefore cordially invite you to meet with us and community representatives to hear their views. I and the members of the Moray Action Group are prepared to make any appointment, given the urgency of this matter and the importance to our community.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cllr George McIntyre, JP, Convener of Moray Council.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Highlands and Islands Enterprise. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.