TWENTY-three charities from across Scotland have received nearly £290,000 in the first tranche of donations from the Bank of Scotland Foundation.
A further £60,000 will be distributed in the coming weeks.
Charities that will benefit from the Foundation’s Small Grants Programme include Rutherglen & Cambuslang Citizens Advice Bureau, The Broomhouse Centre and Quarriers, who will create the position of a development worker, who will support young homeless people hoping to move into their first home.
Kate Guthrie, chair of the Foundation’s board of Trustees and HR director, Insurance, Lloyds Banking Group, said: “We’ve had a fantastic response to the Small Grants Programme and are delighted to make these first awards to very deserving organisations.
“We know they will bring valuable support throughout Scotland and in the communities they work closely with.”
The Foundation receives an annual donation of £1m from Lloyds Banking Group to fund the Foundation’s Small Grants Programme and Employee Matched Giving Scheme.
The Foundation aims to help individuals and groups work together to ensure a better quality of life within their community and is particularly interested in helping:
- initiatives designed to encourage the involvement in the community of those too often excluded;
- working with people on low incomes, at risk from poverty or with problems finding accommodation; and
- improving the standard of local facilities.
Building the confidence and competence of everyone about finance is also a particular priority for the Bank of Scotland Foundation and in order to achieve this, it is committed to supporting financial literacy and financial inclusion initiatives right across Scotland.
The second tranche of funding is now open and charities have until Tuesday 19th July to send in their applications.
Applications are accepted up to and including £20,000 for the Small Grants Programme and grants are awarded for one year only.
Full details and a Small Grants application form can be downloaded from the website at www.bankofscotlandfoundation.org.
Notes to Editors:
- Applications can only be accepted from charities registered in Scotland and will be accepted until 5pm on Tuesday 19th July 2011. All applicants will be informed in writing of the Trustees’ decisions approximately eight weeks from the closing date for applications.
- The closing dates for the remainder of 2011 are: Friday 14th October 2011.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by McGarvie Morrison Media. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.