SCOTSCARE, the charity for Scots in London in need and distress have announced the nominees for Scot of the year 2011.
Previous winners of the annual vote include Gordon Brown, Gerard Butler and Susan Boyle.
2011 has been another great year for Scots in a variety of areas and this year recognises the achievements of Scots across the world. This year, the nominees come from the worlds of film, sport, politics, music, TV and more.
The nominees are;
- J.K. Rowling: For shattering records in publishing and leaving us wanting more
- Craig Ferguson: For continued success hosting the Late Late show in the US
- Mark Beaumont: For inspiring our inner explorer with his latest expedition to the Arctic
- Karen Gillan: For her continued success defying time as Amy Pond in Doctor Who
- Andy Murray: For finishing the year on a high at No. 4 in the world
- Anne Gloag: For being the first Scot to win the Val-Kill medal for charitable work
- Rickie Burns: For becoming a World Champion in two weight levels
- Richie McCaw: For captaining the winning Rugby World Cup and his Scottish heritage
- Gordon Ramsey: For continuing to expand his eatery empire with Bread Street Kitchen
- Kevin Bridges: For another year at the top of the comedy circuit
- Lynne Ramsey: For the critically acclaimed film, ‘Let’s Talk about Kevin’
- Bert Jansch (posthumous): For his huge musical influence
- Craig Levein: For a valiant European qualifying campaign
- Darren Fletcher: For passing 50 international caps
- Gerry Rafferty (posthumous): For creating a timeless soundtrack
- Ally McErlaine: For his remarkable recovery to complete a European tour with Texas
- Alex Salmond: In recognition of his party’s election victory
Voting is available on charity website, www.scotscare.com. The winner will be announced to mark Burns Day on the 25th of January.
ScotsCare is the charity for Scots in London in need, hardship or distress.
For further information contact:
020 7240 3718 / 07739897538
PRESS RELEASE issued by ScotsCare. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka Press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.