IN recognition of services to hairdressing Charlie Miller is the first Scottish hairdresser to be honoured with an OBE.
In the presence of his wife, Janet, and their two sons, Jason and Joshua, he will receive his award from Her Majesty The Queen at an investiture ceremony held at Palace of Holyrood House, Edinburgh on Tuesday July 3rd 2012.
Founder of his eponymous company Charlie Miller has experienced a few firsts in his career and being the first Scottish hairdresser to be honoured with an OBE tops the list: “I am deeply grateful to be given this honour for my contribution in such a creative and innovative industry. I’ve been hairdressing for 53 years and it’s been a fulfilling career with many opportunities to share my skill and knowledge with industry peers throughout the world. This award is shared with my talented and supportive family and the many people with whom I have worked along the journey.”
Notes to Editors:
• Founded in 1965 The Charlie Miller brand is recognised worldwide as one of the UK’s leading hairdressing brands
• The company has five luxury salons in Edinburgh and an education academy.
• Charlie was one of only four Scottish hairdressers to put Scotland firmly on the hairdressing map at London’s Salon International in 1976 where the team presented their first London hair show in a legendary line-up called ‘The Super Scots’ compèred by Michael Parkinson.
• Amongst the cream of the hairdressing industry, Charlie has won or been nominated for several of the world’s most coveted hairdressing awards: a founder member in the British Hairdressing Hall of Fame; Scottish Hairdresser of the Year (1986, 1988, 1989). He has also won Avant-Garde Hairdresser of the Year (1990) and was nominated twice for the prestigious British Hairdresser of the Year. As well as receiving the National Hairdressers Federation ‘Hairdresser of the Year’, World Master of the Craft, New York and a Lifetime Achievement Award from The Guild of Hairdressers, he has received the honour of Fellow of Distinction from the Fellowship for British Hairdressing.
• Over the years Charlie has styled the hair of many VIPs and celebrities including Sean Connery and Donna Karan. And, His Holiness the Dalai Lama shaves his head monthly using a clipper given to him personally by Charlie.
• Since 2007 he has become committed to cutting and styling wigs for Teenage Cancer Trust teenagers and young people undergoing cancer treatment.
For more information, photographs or to request an interview with Charlie Miller, please contact Yvonne Blyth on 07771 776456 / email@example.com
For photographs from the OBE presentation please contact British Ceremonial Arts Limited t: 0118 9776800 / e: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRESS RELEASE issued by Charlie Miller. You too can post media releases (aka story ideas for journalists) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.