PASSENGERS at Glasgow International Airport were surprised to see ‘Charles Rennie Mackintosh’, with his wife, ‘Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh’, today (Monday August 27).
The celebrity couple – aka performers from Mischief La Bas – were there as part of the airport’s Best of Scotland campaign which was launched earlier this month to celebrate the best of Scottish food, drink and culture.
Says a spokesperson: “Charles Rennie Mackintosh played a crucial role in the development of the architecture, not just in Scotland but all across the world.
“His contribution will be celebrated in Glasgow over the coming weeks with Doors Open Day in September and the Creative Mackintosh Festival in October.”
In a joint venture with Glasgow International Airport, the festival organisers are launching an architecture photography competition, offering the finalists the chance to have their work on show in the city centre and thereafter in the International Arrivals hall for a year.
There are free flights to Barcelona on offer to the overall winner as well as a host of Glasgow entertainment prizes such as hotel stays and free tickets.
Would-be David Baileys can select one of 50 official landmarks such as Mackintosh’s Scotland Street School, Willaim Leiper’s Templeton Carpet Factory or Archibald Leitch’s Ibrox Stadium to photograph.
Francois Bourienne, commercial director at Glasgow Airport, said: “The whole idea behind our Best of Scotland campaign is to celebrate and showcase Scottish culture and to create a bit of theatre in the terminal for our passengers.
“What better way to do that than to team up with the Mackintosh Heritage Group which goes to great lengths to ensure the legacy of Scotland’s most famous architect endures.
“We will be working the Mackintosh Heritage Group over the course of the next year and we are looking forward to exhibiting the work of the winning photographers in our arrivals hall.”
Many of Glasgow’s official top 50 landmarks will feature in Doors Open Day in September.
An exhibition of the best pictures will form part of the Creative Mackintosh Festival in October at the Glasgow Art Club.
Pictures should be emailed to email@example.com by Wednesday 3rd October 2012.
There will be an opportunity to take photographs of the Mackintosh performers at Glasgow Airport from 11.30am on Monday August 27.
Photographs will be available from 2pm on Monday August 27 from Malcolm Cochrane Photography, www.malcolmcochrane.co.uk
Tel: 0131 466 6799, Mob: 07971 835 065, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information contact: Brian McClean at Glasgow Airport
Tel: 0141 848 4558, Mob: 0775 4390 160
or Andrea Pearson at Mackintosh Heritage Group, 07769 676 email@example.com
Notes to editors
1. Glasgow Airport’s six week Best of Scotland campaign was launched on Monday 13 August to celebrate the best of Scottish food, drink, culture and entertainment. Some of Scotland’s most iconic brands and successful exports including Irn Bru, Tunnocks, Mackie’s ice cream and Hendrick’s gin will be exhibiting in the airport while a series of musical, theatrical and comedic performances will bring a carnival atmosphere to the terminal during what is one of the busiest periods of the year.
2. Low res jpegs for the competition should be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Landmarks Photographic Competition’ in the subject box. Full name, age (optional), contact telephone number, name of Landmark Building and a chosen caption (optional) should also be included. One entry per person. Finalists will be asked to send a hi res image. Opening date for entries: Monday 10th September 2012, closing date: Wednesday 3rd October 2012.
Full list of prizes: Two return flights with Jet2.com from Glasgow to Barcelona. A VIP package for Glasgow’s International Airport including priority access through security, fast track parking and access to the Glasgow Airport exclusive SkyLounge. A Room with Breakfast at CitizenM Hotel. Afternoon Tea for four at Willow Tea Rooms.
Four tickets to see Scottish Folk Band, Runrig at Barrowland Ballroom. A year’s membership of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Roger Billcliffes’s book, ‘Visiting Charles Rennie Mackintosh’. Boozy Snoozy lunch for four at Blythswood Square Hotel Four tickets for a film of your choice at Glasgow Film Theatre Mackintosh Goodie Bag from The Hunterian Art Gallery Lunch for two adults and two children at The Art Lovers Café in House for an Art Lover Signed copy of Judith Bower’s Book: Stan Laurel & Other Stars of the Panopticon – The Story of the Britannia Music Hall Afternoon Tea at The Grand Central Hotel.
Twenty finalists will have their work displayed in as part of The Creative Mackintosh Festival exhibition in Glasgow Art Club and thereafter at Glasgow International Airport.
3. Doors open Day will be the weekend of September 15 and 16. For more information check http://www.glasgowdoorsopenday.com/
4. The Creative Mackintosh festival runs from October 15 to 28. Details of some events are already available online at www.glasgowmackintosh.com A downloadable brochure will be available online. Please contact organisers to receive a printed copy. Funding to stage a ‘Creative Mackintosh’ programme during 2012, has been provided by Creative Scotland, as part of the Year of Creative Scotland; Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and Scottish Enterprise.
5. Glasgow City Marketing Bureau (GCMB) is the official destination marketing organisation (DMO) for the city of Glasgow. As custodian of the Glasgow: Scotland with style brand, GCMB works with numerous partners, stakeholders and businesses to position and promote Glasgow across national and international markets as one of Europe’s most vibrant, dynamic and diverse cities in which to live, work, study, invest and visit. For more information, visit: www.seeglasgow.com.
6. The ‘Mackintosh’ couple will be making additional appearances in coming weeks. More information about interactive performance company Mischief La Bas can be found at http://www.mischieflabas.co.uk/
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Copytaker PR. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.