AN interactive event aimed at raising awareness of mental illness, and the stigma surrounding it, will take place in Café Camino in Edinburgh on Monday (October 29 from 1.30pm – 4pm).
The Mental Health Information Day has been organised by NHS Lothian in partnership with Health in Mind, Advocard and Edinburgh Carers Council.
Carers and people who have been affected by mental illness are invited to come along and find out more about the services available to them, talk to staff and learn how to manage their condition.
Jane Sutherland, lead occupational therapist, NHS Lothian, said: “I would urge people to come along to this event and find out more about what services are available to them.
“The purpose of the day is to assist in raising awareness of mental illness and to reduce the stigma which still surrounds it. Participants will have an opportunity to talk to a wide range of staff from various projects including NHS Lothian and social work colleagues.
“There will be nurses, a psychiatrist, a psychologist and occupational therapy staff, all happy to discuss things in relation to mental illness.”
As well as getting your fitness checked on a rowing machine, thanks to Edinburgh Leisure. The event will also offer an alternative therapy taster session, including massage.
There will also be an opportunity to get information on benefits and education opportunities.
Linda Irvine, strategic programme manager, Mental Health and Wellbeing, NHS Lothian, said: “This is an excellent event for people who want to find out more information about what is available to them within their local community.
“The event will also help to build stronger links between services and service-users and I would encourage people to come along on the day and find out more.”
Notes to editors:
- The Mental Health Information Event has been organised by NHS Lothian in partnership with Health in Mind, Advocard and Edinburgh Carers Council. The event takes place on Monday October 29 from 1.30pm to 4pm at Cafe Camino, 1 Little King Street, EdinburghEH1 3JR(in St Mary’s ParishChurch). Tea and coffee will be provided.
- Acclaimed poet, Jo McFarlane, will share some of her poems at around 2.30pm.
- Other projects attending on the day will be: Action on Depression, Advocacy, Scottish Recovery Network, LGBT, Redhall Garden Project.
- Health in Mind promotes positive mental health and wellbeing in Scotland. More information can be found at www.health-in-mind.org.uk
- Advocard is a service user-led, independent advocacy organisation. More information can be found at: www.advocard.org.uk
- Edinburgh Carers Council are an independent organisation that provides advocacy, information and learning opportunities to carers. More information can be found at: http://www.edinburghcarerscouncil.co.uk/
0131 465 5648
07730 616 435
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Health in Mind. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.