DESPITE his recent success, X Factor winner, James Arthur, hasn’t forgotten his Scottish roots – and it seems his glamorous mentor, Nicole Scherzinger, wants in on the action too.
Exclusive pictures show the pair pulling pints of and enjoying Deuchars IPA – Edinburgh’s Caledonian Brewery’s flagship cask beer – in The Victoria in Saltburn, North Yorkshire.
The pub, in which half-Scot James is a regular drinker, has teamed up with the photographer, Kirstie Handley, to create a calendar of the X Factor winner and former Pussycat Doll raising money for homeless charity, the Doorways Youth Project.
The Victoria’s publican, Roy Myers, said:
“Whenever James is in The Victoria, he normally asks for Deuchars IPA – it’s one of his favourites. So when he and Nicole joined us during their X Factor promotional work early December, we arranged for Kirstie to come along to get some exclusive pictures.
“James and Nicole had a great time pulling the pints and tasting the beer and both commented on how they loved the taste of Deuchars IPA so it was a particular favourite. Rumours were that Nicole managed to down her pint in one!
“They were both great sports and we enjoyed having them in the pub – Nicole even had some pork scratchings and fish and chips, which she loved too! Both washed down with a pint of Deuchars IPA.”
Deuchars IPA has excited the industry and fuelled the Scottish ale renaissance and is a favourite amongst the likes of author Ian Rankin, Inspector Rebus, comedian Russell Kane and now X Factor’s James Arthur and Nicole Scherzinger. Its combination of taste and refreshment is delicious and slightly citrus, without being too bitter.
Brewed by hand in Edinburgh in Caledonian Brewery’s original Victorian brewhouse, the malt infusion and hop flowers are combined in Britain’s last remaining direct-fired open coppers, resulting in a beautifully, balanced flavour.
Stephen Crawley, managing director of Caledonian Brewery, said:
“It’s fantastic to hear that James and Nicole can be added to our list of Deuchars IPA fans and it just goes to show that it’s a beer that can be enjoyed by all – not just the traditional ale drinker. Deuchars IPA was recently ranked in Loaded’s Top 10 beers, again showing that it’s a beer for all ages.
“The pictures are fantastic so we hope as many people as possible buy the calendars – we for sure will be as it’s for a great cause.
“I’m sure the next time James and Nicole are visiting Scotland, we can arrange a tour of the Brewery for them. We’d like to see Nicole down the pint in one again, if she’s game!”
The 2013 calendars are available for £6 by contacting Roy Myers at The Victoria, on royEmyers@hotmail.co.uk, with all proceeds going to the Doorways Youth Project.
Photographer, Kirstie Handley, commented on her thoughts behind the calendar:
“I was in The Victoria with my friends on the night of the final and was wondering how I could make the most of the pictures, especially as they hadn’t been seen anywhere.
“After speaking to Roy, I came up with an idea of creating a calendar, with proceeds going to local charity the Doorways Youth Project, which provides opportunities for young and vulnerable people ages 13-25 living in and around Saltburn.
“I really enjoyed taking the pictures so it’s a pleasure to be able to share these with the public, while at the same time, raising money for a very worthy cause.”
Issued on behalf of Caledonian Brewery by threebrand.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Gillian Hamilton at threebrand on 07734 656676 or email email@example.com
Notes to Editor:
- Deuchars IPA (India Pale Ale) was first brewed in 1991 by Caledonian Brewery on Slateford Road, which was built in 1869, when Edinburgh was one of the foremost brewing centres in the world. This was due to the abundant supply of barley and mineral rich water from Edinburgh’s ‘Charmed Circle’ of brewery wells.
- Caledonian Brewery is the only survivor of over 40 breweries that operated in Edinburgh during the 19th century (although a number of independent breweries have opened in the surrounding area in recent years).
- Deuchars IPA is a fantastic combination of taste and refreshment – delicious and slightly fruity without being too bitter
- Winner of multi awards, Deuchars IPA was named CAMRA’s Supreme Champion Beer of Britain in 2002 and Best Cask Ale at the Brewing Industry International Awards in 2005.
- Caledonian Brewery’s nominated charity is Royal Blind.
- For more information on Caledonian Brewery and Deuchars, visit www.caledonianbeer.com
- For more information on Kirstie Handley Photography, visit www.kirstiehandley.com
- For more information on The Doorways Youth Project, visit www.door-ways.co.uk
MEDIA RELEASE posted by threebrand PR. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.
Contact: Gillian Hamilton