ABERDEEN pupil, Cong Lu, has been invited to join the NATIONAL Mathematics Summer School following his excellent performance in the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge.
Fifteen year old Cong who is in fourth year at Robert Gordon’s College, saw excellent success at such a young age in the maths challenge where he sat the Maclaurin paper(the highest UK competition for his age group) and achieved a certificate of Distinction.
Cong said: “Selection for the summer school is a fantastic opportunity for me. The programme includes group masterclasses, small group work and team competitions.
“It will be an intensive week but I look forward to spending the time with around 40 of the UK’s top young mathematicians. It is such an honour to be recognised in the UK at such a high level in Mathematics.”
Fellow pupil, Andrew Webb, also saw success sat in the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge where he achieved a certificate of Merit in the Hamilton paper.
Mrs Vicky Fletcher, head of Mathematics, comments: “I am delighted that Cong and Andrew enjoyed and scored so well in their papers.
“The UKMT competition is very prestigious in our sector where the boys were competing with the highest calibre of mathematics in the UK. Cong is an excellent but very modest mathematician who enjoys using his intellect in lessons and extra-curricular activities. He has been an enthusiastic contributor to team competitions as well as succeeding individually at such a young age.”
Notes for editors:
- Cong and Andrew completed the papers in March
- Cong Lu: 15 years-old, S3, Lives in Aberdeen
- Andrew Webb: 15 years-old, S3, Lives in Cults
- Around 1600 S3 and S4 pupils from throughout the UK entered this annual competition [UK Mathematics Trust Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad] where the top 50 in each year group receive a book prize, the top 100 a medal and the top 25 per cent a certificate of Distinction.
- Cong and Andrew qualified for participation in the Olympiad paper during the Intermediate Maths Challenge which he sat in school under exam conditions and marked by Leeds University.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Robert Gordon’s College. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.
Contact: Shelley Lee