TWO landmark construction projects being delivered for Rolls Royce and The Ulster Hospital have won awards which place them among the top one per cent of UK construction sites, thanks to the work of GRAHAM Construction.
Says a spokesperson: “The £40m regeneration of the Rolls Royce Marine factory in Derby and the £115m state-of-the-art inpatient ward at Ulster Hospital both won Gold awards and were named as runners-up at the Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS) National Site Awards.”
The Considerate Constructors Awards were created to showcase the UK’s best construction sites in terms of safety, best practice, minimisation of environmental impact and the protection of staff welfare.
The spokesperson added: “More than 9,000 construction sites were entered into the awards and only the top one per cent of sites, a total of 98 schemes, secured Gold awards. Even fewer sites, 31 in total, achieved runners-up awards.”
Overall, six GRAHAM Construction sites clinched CCS awards:
• Gold – £40m CPC Regeneration Scheme – new Rolls Royce 7,200m2 manufacturing facility in Derby with a new 520m2 Energy Centre and 1,500m2 Product Assembly Building.
• Gold – £115m Ulster Hospital scheme to create 288 single bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, a new day surgery department with four state-of-the art operating theatres and endoscopy suite and new pharmacy and café.
• Silver – £14.5m Deaconess House – regeneration project of a former 19th century hospital in Edinburgh which will comprise of 315 student flats and a warden flat on the site of the former Deaconess Hospital.
• Silver – £17.5m The Heart of the Campus scheme at Sheffield Hallam University to create a new heart to the Collegiate Crescent Campus. The scheme will provide almost 9,500m2 of high quality academic, teaching and social spaces in a new hub building. Alongside student services and general teaching there is also a new café, and open learning zones. The building provides a new base for the departments of Law, Criminology and Community Justice and Psychology, Sociology and Politics departments.
• Silver – £81m Peel Park – eight storeys of student accommodation for the University of Salford comprising 1,367 en-suite student bedrooms, alongside communal social spaces with games facilities, lounges, an on-site cinema, gym, basketball court and joint-designed kitchens,
• Bronze – A2 Shore Road – widening 3.5km of the A2 – part of the strategic road network in Northern Ireland
Michael Graham, executive chair of GRAHAM, said: “GRAHAM Construction is passionate about delivering top quality projects, and we believe we provide the best finished product for customers by maintaining high standards throughout the construction process.
“To have two of the landmark sites we are developing for Rolls Royce and The Ulster Hospital recognised among the top one per cent of construction sites nationally is a testament to the high standards we deliver.
“The new Rolls Royce factory and the new in-patient ward at Ulster Hospital are nationally important projects.
“However, more importantly than that they are also hugely important to the local community in which they reside.
“By engaging with local people, ensuring safety on-site and making sure that the construction process has a minimal effect on the environment we are able to deliver top quality schemes for our clients and local communities.
“Every GRAHAM Construction project is a partnership and we are very pleased that this has been recognised by CCS.”
The CCS independently monitors all competing construction sites across the UK.
Deaconess House, for example, received excellent feedback for its community engagement, which was due to regular interaction from the start of the project, especially with the local church situated beside the site.
The project promoted a programme for under privileged youths to encourage local people to enter the workforce and join young people already employed on the site.
The environmental protection measures in operation were also praised and the site team continuously promoted exceptional safety behaviour with various systems and incentives put in place to encourage work force engagement.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by The BIG Partnership. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email email@example.com for more information.
Check out twitter.com/nonstopstories for your very own media releases feed…
To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.
The BIG Partnership contact details…