PREPARATIONS are under way for the historic Atholl Highlanders Parade and Gathering which is taking place on May 23rd and 24th at Highland Perthshire’s Blair Castle.
The historic event, an annual Gathering hosted by The Duke of Atholl, has been enjoyed for generations and is set to attract thousands of people to the area to witness the famous Parade and competitive Gathering over the course of the weekend.
The weekend will kick off at 11am on the Saturday with an Atholl Highlanders talk where you can discover more about the history of the Atholl Highlanders, Europe’s only private army, led by castle archivist, Jane Anderson, and Atholl Highlander CSM, Geoff Crerar.
After the talk, the spectacular Atholl Highlanders Parade begins in the Blair Castle forecourt at 2pm with music from the Atholl Highlanders Pipe Band, Parade inspections and traditional marching followed to military precision.
The Parade is followed on the Sunday by a day of traditional Highland Games, from caber tossing and wrestling to highland dancing, piping competitions and family races.
Starting at 10am, the day is packed with unrivalled sights and spectacles that are unique to Blair Castle and Highland Perthshire.
Andrew Bruce-Wootton, general manager at Atholl Estates, said: “Every year, the Atholl Highlanders Parade and Atholl Gathering attracts visitors from all over the world.
“There is no better place to see and participate in historic Highland traditions than here at Blair Castle. The amazing spectacle of Europe’s only private army parading on the castle’s forecourt to the sounds of the bagpipes is something really special that is not to be missed.
“As well as the range of events taking place throughout the weekend, there is also a series of war exhibitions inside Blair Castle commemorating the centenaries of three major conflicts.
“It is 100 years since the Dardanelles Campaign during World War One which is especially poignant.”
Visitors can also enjoy the Castle’s scenic grounds and experience brand new five-course taster menu in the Castle’s Tullibardine Restaurant.
As a member of the VisitScotland’s prestigious Taste Our Best quality assurance scheme, the restaurant will showcase the Scottish provenance of the ingredients used on the taster menu.
Andrew continued: “As there is so much to see, do and taste, we are offering special annual passes for £12 that allow people to visit Blair Castle and its grounds as many times as they like for a full year, so visitors don’t have to see everything we have to offer all in one trip.”
To find out more about visiting Blair Castle, go to www.blair-castle.co.uk
For further information, please contact Anna Gunn, Volpa, Tel: 07803589732 or 01738 700135
Notes to Editors
PHOTO CALL: Photo opportunities will be available at Atholl Gathering over the weekend of May 23rd/24th.
About Atholl Gathering
Saturday 23rd May
Atholl Highlanders Parade
Grounds entry: Adult £5.80, Concession £5.80, Child £2.50
Atholl Highlanders Talk: Additional £5
Sunday 24th May
Atholl Gathering and Highland Games
Grounds Entry: Adult £7, Senior £5, Child £3
About Atholl Estates
- Atholl Estates is located in Blair Atholl, Highland Perthshire. The estate is centered around the famous landmark of Blair Castle.
- One of Scotland’s best-known estates, Atholl Estates dates back to the 13th century.
- Atholl Estates manage a range of operations in the tourism, events, forestry, farming, property and country sport sectors.
- Atholl Estates also has a range of Highland lodges and a caravan park on site.
- For more information please visit wwww.atholl-estates.com or call 01796 481411.
About Blair Castle
- Atholl Estates is centered around Blair Castle and Gardens in Blair Atholl which are open to the public for day visitors, corporate events, functions and weddings.
- Blair Castle dates back to 1269 and has 30 rooms on display to the public.
- Blair Castle was recently included in a list of Europe’s most magical castles by Duvine – a global bike tour company.
- Blair Castle is open to the public from 1st April to 31st October and features a restaurant, gift shop and tours of the house and grounds.
- For more information please visit www.blair-castle.co.uk or call 01796 481411.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by Volpa. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email email@example.com for more information.
Check out twitter.com/nonstopstories for your very own media releases feed…
Check out too twitter.com/allTravelPR.
To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.
Volpa contact details…