WHEN allmediascotland.com launches with a new look in a few weeks’ time, one ambition is that readers recommend stuff, including articles that have made a strong, favourable impression on them in the Scottish press.
Of the many websites that allmediascotland.com is likely to find itself recommending on a regular basis is www.webdesignerdepot.com; comprising great advice – sometimes highly technical, other times not – updated on a daily basis.
A few days back, it was suggesting 12 essential rules on designing a logo, which allmediascotland.com thinks might be helpful for those staff journalists and photographers who have recently, or are about to, swell the ranks of the self-employed.
The rules are:
1. Preliminary work is a must
2. Create balance
3. Size matters
4. Clever use of colour
5. Design style should suit the company
6. Typography matters… a lot!
7. The goal is recognition
8. Dare to be different
9. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid)
10. Go easy on effects
11. Develop a design ‘assembly line’
12. Use other designs for inspiration only!