CLOSING DATE: September 5, 2012
Am Pàipear, the flourishing and award-winning community newspaper in Balivanich, Isle of Benbecula, has an exciting opportunity for an appropriately experienced person to take up the post of editor/journalist.
He/she will edit, manage, design and produce this monthly newspaper and daily news and information website (www.ampaipear.org.uk)
The successful candidate will be expected to cover the social, business, political and media life of the local community. The key criteria for this position are to be able to manage all aspects of newspaper origination and production, and the editor/journalist will be supported by a production assistant.
Salary range – £20-£25K , dependent on experience, etc.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday September 5th 2012, to Hector MacLeod, Am Paipear, 41 Airport Road, Balivanich, Benbecula, HS7 5LA
Interviews scheduled for Wednesday September 19th 2012.
Details and application forms are available at www.ampaipear.org.uk
For further information please contact us at email@example.com
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all suitably-qualified members of the community.
Am Paipear is part of the Third Sector Hebrides Group
Accountable to: the chief executive, Third Sector Hebrides or nominated line manager
Hours: equivalent of 37.5 hours per week, worked flexibly to meet newspaper deadlines
1. Be responsible for producing the monthly Am Pàipear newspaper by:
* Producing the monthly newspaper in Quark Xpress or Adobe Indesign, populating it with self-written articles and items provided by the community;
* Laying out the paper to ensure ongoing high standards of presentation are maintained;
* All other elements of the paper’s pre-press production;
* Managing the maintenance, design and updating of the Am Pàipear website;
* Keeping abreast of local news by developing and maintaining personal contacts, attendance at local events and scrutiny of local and national press;
* Carrying out investigative journalism on issues of interest and concern to the local community, when necessary spearheading campaigns for change;
* Reporting regularly to the ‘Am Pàipear’ Board on content and feedback, ensuring that the Board is made aware of any contentions issues;
* Keeping up to date with developments in publishing software to maintain excellence in the paper’s presentation;
* Ensuring that advertising income is maintained and the subscriptions database is managed; and
*Linking with the TSH staff to ensure the paper’s financial viability is maintained.
2. Provide line management to the production assistant, mentoring, supporting and guiding to ensure maximum input to the paper’s production, the paper’s website maintenance and that income from advertising and subscriptions is maintained.
3. Any other duty deemed reasonable by line management.
Contact: Hector MacLeod