CLOSING DATE: September 18, 2015
Ref 15 071
Organisation: The National Lottery Promotions Unit
Salary: circa £30,000
Salary info: (maternity cover for 50 weeks from late October)
Closing date: 18/09/15
ARE you an experienced PR person looking to work for one of the UK’s best-known brands?
Do you have a background in working with Scottish and UK national media and generating quality PR coverage?
Do you have experience of managing a range of stakeholders? Are you a self-starter and able to work on your own initiative as well as part of a busy PR team?
Through a variety of creative campaigns, the National Lottery Promotions Unit (NLPU) raises awareness of the people, projects and organisations funded by The National Lottery.
From large-scale iconic projects, like the Riverside Museum and the Kelpies, to smaller, community and grassroots initiatives, we highlight the life changing difference that National Lottery funding makes to arts, education, environment, health, heritage, sport and voluntary projects.
We are looking for a confident PR person with fantastic contacts and brimming with creative ideas to manage the NLPU’s media relations and PR activity in Scotland.
You will also support the head of Media (based in London) to promote positive public awareness of the National Lottery Good Causes within the UK national media.
You will have experience with a full range of communications, digital and PR tools and techniques and have proven ability of delivering on message, positive coverage. You will be experienced in stakeholder management.
Working closely with the head of Media (who is based in London), the senior media relations manager (Scotland) will be responsible for driving the National Lottery Promotions Unit’s (NLPU) media relations and PR activity throughout the year to promote positive public awareness of the National Lottery Good Causes.
This person will help manage a communications programme which uses a range of creative vehicles and PR initiatives to deliver positive, on message coverage across a wide range of media (with a particular focus on Scottish media and UK nationals).
This role will involve managing relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including Lottery Distributing Bodies in Scotland.
* Handle day-to-day proactive and reactive contact with the media on behalf of the NLPU (in conjunction with other media colleagues and Head of Media) and take leadership on all Scottish media activity;
* Maintain excellent working relationships with NLPU stakeholders, in particular Scotland-based LDBs, liaising with them on a regular basis and keeping colleagues within the Unit up to date on their activities;
* Develop and nurture positive relationships with journalists across all media, including Scottish and UK national newspapers, consumer publications, radio, TV and online;
* Monitor external environment for any activity that would potentially impact on the Lottery Good Causes brand – positively or negatively – and keep NLPU team updated;
* Represent NLPU at high level meetings;
* Develop and implement creative ideas for the NLPU’s digital media platforms and work closely with colleagues in the digital and web team;
* Input into the NLPU strategy and lead on agreed media activities;
* Ensure communications messages are both consistent and complementary to promote and protect the National Lottery brand and reputation;
* Act as a Lottery Good Causes spokesperson as required and direct other spokespeople;
* Manage external suppliers; and
* Budget management.
Special working conditions
* Ability to travel and carry out occasional work outside normal hours; and
* Active member of 24/7 on call rota, involving some after hours and weekend work.
Competences – technical
* Media techniques (expert). Extensive and detailed knowledge of the media and extensive experience in core media techniques;
* Project/event management techniques (advanced). End-to-end project/event management across a range of NLPU projects;
* Writing skills – (advanced). Ability to write complex proposals, presentations and reports to communicate at senior level;
* Specialist knowledge (advanced). Detailed knowledge and understanding of specialist practices appropriate to NLPU strategy;
* Stakeholder management (advanced). In-depth knowledge of NLPU stakeholders, an enhanced understanding of their organisations and positive working relationships at a senior level; and
* Strategy (advanced). Directs and leads elements of the NLPU strategy.
Competences – behavioural
* Communication (Level 3). Confident and articulate communicator;
* Creativity and problem solving (Level 4). Champions creativity and critical thinking;
* Planning and organising (Level 3). Plans and manages complex or multiple projects;
* Influencing others (Level 3). Builds strong alliances and demonstrates improved partnerships; and
* Working with others (Level 4). Champions collaborative working.
Specific knowledge, qualifications and experience
* Experience of the full range of communications and PR tools and techniques;
* Stakeholder management experience; and
* Proven ability to deliver on message, positive media coverage.
Method of application:
To apply, please demonstrate your suitability for the post against the core competencies listed in the role profile, in a covering letter of no more than two pages of A4 together with a copy of your CV.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com before the deadline of: 12:00pm on Friday 18 September 2015
Thursday 1 October 2015.
The NLPU is an Equal Opportunities organisation which welcomes applications which reflect the diversity of our community.
Contact: Sarah Myers
Phone: 0141 242 1414