CLOSING DATE: October 18, 2015
Job title: Communications officer (x2)
Job number: SERV00381
Salary: Grade 7 £31,342 – £37,394
Contract type: Open-ended
Posting date: 18 October 2015
Closing date is midnight on Sunday 18 October 2015.
Interviews are expected to take place on Tuesday 03 November 2015.
The post – two of them
The communications officer will work as part of the professional service offered by the communications team in support of the strategic communication requirements of the university.
The successful candidate will focus in particular on media relations, research communications, speech writing, reputation management and contribute to a wide range of corporate communications.
The postholder will also work closely with colleagues from events, marketing, publications and web and digital media to develop and deliver integrated communications projects which enhance the university’s national and international profile for excellence in teaching and research.
The postholder will report to the senior communications officer and will work closely with the director of Communications, Marketing and Public Engagement.
The role requires someone who has excellent communication skills and a flair for writing, equally adept at pitching to journalists as preparing strategic briefings for senior officers.
The post should attract a confident, tenacious, self-starter who thrives on building strong internal and external relationships and networks.
Description of duties
* Research, write and edit media releases, and secure placement of news stories in local, national and international media.
* Research, write, edit and proof-read copy for a wide range of communications platforms including written publications, internal communications channels, social media and the website.
* Work closely with academics to identify opportunities to promote their research and enhance the profile of the university at a national and international level.
* Contribute to the successful membership of The Conversation by identifying and organising publishing opportunities for academics.
* Provide a speech-writing service to senior university officers including the principal and vice-chancellor, and the university secretary.
* Contribute to the development and implementation of integrated projects and public relations campaigns with colleagues across service directorates and schools.
* Represent the directorate on committees and working groups.
* Handle incoming media enquiries and facilitate requests for interview, expert comment, filming/photography- providing media training guidance and support when required.
* Prepare briefings for senior university officials and compile a weekly Higher Education report.
* Screen media outlets and compile daily summary of media coverage.
* Provide communications planning and support for key university events including, Graduation and student recruitment days.
* Write, edit and post content for the University intranet and website, using the Terminalfour content management system.
* Work as part of the out-of-hours rota responding to media enquiries at evenings and weekends.
* Work as part of the team responsible for emergency response and crisis communications.
* Adopt a flexible approach to work and be prepared to work non-standard hours, including evenings and weekends.
* Participate in the general activities of the communications team as required and specified by the senior communications officer and director of communications, marketing and public engagement.
For further information, including details on how to apply, please click here.
Contact: Click on the link in the job post