CLOSING DATE: April 24, 2016
THE senior communications officer will be an active senior member of the newly formed Directorate of Communications, Marketing and Public Engagement (CMPE), reporting to the head of communications.
Communications is central to helping the University deliver on its Strategic Plan (2016-2021) by ensuring key university stakeholders recognise and understand the work, expertise and positive reputation of the university on a national and international stage.
The post holder will be responsible for the development and delivery of the university’s communications strategy and will coordinate, deliver and oversee the work of the communications team, line-managing three staff members. The portfolio of responsibility includes: internal communications, media relations and corporate communications.
The post holder will act as a key point of contact within the Communications, Marketing and Public Engagement Directorate, representing the directorate on internal and external committees, working groups and projects as required.
- Support the head of communications to deliver a strategically planned service for high profile corporate priorities.
- Manage the daily workload of the communications team, prioritising tasks, allocating work, and signing-off in terms of quality assurance.
- Provide guidance on complex communications issues to staff at all levels, including the university’s senior management team.
- Manage and control the communications budget.
- Manage and control budgets, ideas and timescales for corporate events and communications campaigns.
- Research, write and edit media releases, and secure placement of news stories in local, national and international media.
- Research, write, edit and proof-read copy for a wide range of communications platforms including written publications, internal communications channels, social media and the website.
- Work closely with academics to identify opportunities to promote their research and enhance the profile of the university at a national and international level.
- Lead and contribute to corporate communications projects, including the annual review and strategic plan; produce copy for internal and external online and hardcopy publications.
- Represent the university on boards/groups.
- Contribute to the successful membership of The Conversation by identifying and organising publishing opportunities for academics.
- Provide a high-quality speech-writing service to senior university officers including the principal and vice-chancellor, the university secretary and other members of senior management.
- Lead on and contribute to the development and implementation of integrated projects and public relations campaigns with colleagues across service directorates and schools.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a new internal communications strategy.
- Represent the directorate on committees and working groups.
- Develop and use various IT systems and tools for media monitoring, issuing press releases and producing web content.
- Prepare strategy documents, briefings, procedures, guidance documents and reports.
- Handle incoming media enquiries and facilitate requests for interview, expert comment, filming/photography- providing media training guidance and support when required.
- Prepare briefings for senior university officials.
- Screen media outlets and compile a daily summary of media coverage.
- Provide communications planning and support for key university events including, graduation and student recruitment days.
- Write, edit and post content for the university intranet and website, using the Terminal four content management system.
- Work as part of the out-of-hours rota responding to media enquiries at evenings and weekends.
- Work as part of the team responsible for emergency response and crisis communications.
- Adopt a flexible approach to work and be prepared to work non-standard hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Carry out relevant duties commensurate with the grade of the post to ensure the optimum performance of the communications team.
Contact: HR Operations