CLOSING DATE: September 29, 2019
Group sports editor
WE are looking for a group sports editor to lead The Courier and Evening Telegraphs’ sports offering – in print, on line and on social media – delivering journalism in new and innovative ways.
You will be responsible for a new group sports department that will provide news reports, pictures, video and audio material for print, online social media, radio and events. You will ensure our newspaper brands are at the forefront of all local and brand relevant sports coverage, and grow our audience engagement.
The new team will deliver trusted analysis and insight, ensuring a high level of engaging, original and thought provoking sports journalism, tailoring it for different readership/audiences.
Full and in-depth coverage of the local sport is key, alongside engaging content on websites and social media platforms. You will lead this team, and look for ways in which we can extend and develop our sports coverage for our audience. You’ll have a full understanding of the impact of social media as a journalistic resource and as a way of getting information to our audiences. Working closely with title editors, picture and online editors, you will work to maximise the potential of sport stories and packages.
* A strong track record of journalism at a senior level, including breaking news and analysis;
* credibility in the world of sport and a good contacts book;
* A track record in production and digital journalism is desirable;
* Highly-developed sports news judgement and editorial awareness;
* Ability to make major decisions with authority and under pressure and to identify, prioritise and interpret key stories of the day;
* An excellent understanding of the titles, readership and audience;
* Ability to manage a team working across titles, making sure style guides are adhered to;
* Ability to motivate and develop editorial staff to maximise and realise team potential;
* Highly-developed communication skills;
* Detailed knowledge of Editors Code of Practice, GDPR and the law;
* To maintain a professional approach ensuring that the reputation of the titles and company is upheld at all times; and
* Positive attitude towards colleagues.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
To apply, click here.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Meadowside office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, onsite staff gym, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
For further information, please visit careers.dcthomson.co.uk
Closing date for applications is Sunday 29th September 2019