CLOSING DATE: February 23, 2021
MAJOR transport projects affecting our readers’ way of life are under way, planned or at the ideas stage in the north and north-east.
These come at a time when the way we live our lives and the impact it has on the environment is being debated more than ever before. DC Thomson Media is creating a specialist Transport and Environment team focusing on delivering outstanding and innovative digital journalism with the core aim of driving digital subscriptions.
This new role of Transport and Environment team leader will be responsible for a team of journalists working on content across The Press and Journal and Evening Express brands.
We want an experienced journalist with a passion and knowledge of the topic. Key issues across our newspapers’ geographies, localising national and international issues, identifying campaigns and seeking out new digital audiences will form key parts of the role.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading a team specialising in transport and environment to ensure digitally-optimised, original and engaging content is produced across our news brands;
- Producing and curating newsletters aimed at increasing audience engagement to help meet targets;
- To fully understand the audience and look for ways to develop and extend coverage through events, meetings, etc;
- To develop and maintain a wide range of contacts and contributors;
- To work closely with other managers and colleagues to maximise the potential of stories/packages;
- To have full responsibility for ensuring the team work effectively and efficiently together; and
- To review and identify staff development and training needs and ensure appropriate solutions are implemented.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a senior journalist, preferably with pre-existing leadership experience;
- Have experience of digital publishing, especially around headline writing, SEO and social media;
- Be highly organised, ensuring the team has the right framework in place to develop short, medium and long-term goals and content plans;
- Have an absolute passion for transport and environment stories;
- Be data aware and able to work to key newsroom metrics;
- Have highly-developed digital storytelling skills and the ability to use modern online tools and data to accomplish that goal;
- Be collaborative and open to working with multiple different teams to achieve the end goal; and
- Be able to inspire and develop a team which is spread across different locations.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter, here.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 37.5 hours per week from our Aberdeen office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, gym discount, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org