CLOSING DATE: October 1, 2021
THE Press and Journal and its sister title, the Evening Express, are looking for an experienced, talented and passionate journalist to join its crime and courts team in Aberdeen.
The reporter will have responsibility for creating innovative, in-depth stories about crime in the north and north-east that go deeper than simple statistics. They should also be constantly striving to find the human stories behind the headlines and bring a fresh perspective to how these articles are presented to our readers.
These stories might be quick turnaround pieces that react to breaking news or topical subjects, or they could be long-form articles, that delve into crime trends or cold cases. They might also be undercover investigations that take weeks or months to complete.
As well as investigative, analytical and human interest stories, the successful candidate will be a confident journalist who is also able to write accurate court reports, so 100wpm shorthand is essential.
Candidates will ideally have a passion for this area of journalism and experience in news reporting but creativity is key. Our ideal applicant will not only find stories and come up with ideas but take an innovative approach in how they are told, utilising all the multimedia tools at their disposal.
* Provide coverage of crime and court stories for our online, social media and print platforms;
* Develop strong network of contacts within the police and legal community, as well as the wider local environment;
* Provide unique, ‘must read’ feature, data-driven analysis and trusted crime-based content
Contribute ideas for and participate in the production of innovative audio and video content
Package content attractively for online consumption and ensure search engine optimisation (SEO) standards are met;
* Proactively use social media to build and maintain an engaged audience; and
* Work closely with colleagues across the business to maximise the impact of crime and courts content.
* Experience of journalism or content production, ideally in a busy regional or national newsroom;
* Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining accuracy;
* 100wpm shorthand essential;
* Ability to work well independently and as part of a team;
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
* Strong knowledge of Scots Law with a particular emphasis court reporting legislation:
* Strong knowledge of social media and ability to think outside the box;
* Ability to think creatively about story presentation;
* Knowledge of IPSO Editors’ Code of Practice;
* Relevant degree or other qualification preferred but not essential; and
* Driving licence.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter. Apply here.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Aberdeen office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.