CLOSING DATE: March 22, 2022
STV is a leader in multi-platform news, and we have big plans for the future.
This is an opportunity to join our growing team in a senior position and play a key role in shaping our output online and on our social channels.
This role is about ideas and execution – developing and delivering stories that exceed audience expectations and enhance the reputation of our newsroom. It is about working on your own on fast-turnaround content that catches a moment and with colleagues on in-depth reporting that highlights key issues with accessible and engaging storytelling.
The successful candidate will have significant news experience, including in digital publishing, and will be confident with all aspects of digital output including content management, video editing, analytics, SEO, and legal and compliance.
Sound editorial judgement, strong organisational skills, and clear and effective communication are also essential for this role as it requires close collaboration with colleagues across our Scottish newsrooms.
Although focused on digital, this role is ultimately about stories and the successful candidate will be part of a team developing compelling journalism for all our output channels including our flagship news and current affairs programmes.
This is a rare chance to join STV News and to help lead our ambitious growth plans through delivering high quality content for audiences across Scotland.
Key requirements of the role:
- Anticipate and react to the news agenda to ensure we deliver memorable stories and treatments that catch periods of audience interest;
- Liaise with reporters and specialists to develop ideas for compelling content;
- Generate original ideas for content following leads from a variety of sources;
- Work effectively with news teams around the country to ensure the best possible showcase for STV News on digital platforms;
- Work ahead of key news events so that content is planned for digital delivery;
- Be innovative around our digital content and proactively develop new ideas and initiatives;
- Monitor news wires, social media, and other dashboards to identify fast-turnaround content opportunities;
- Provide content to appropriate editorial and production standards; and
- Assisting in other aspects of the work of STV as is reasonably required.
Skills and experience:
- Solid journalistic experience essential;
- Strong editorial judgement;
- Demonstrable digital news publishing experience;
- A detailed understanding of the importance of digital in serving audience needs for news;
- A detailed knowledge of Scottish news and the current affairs agenda and the law as it affects journalism in Scotland;
- An original approach to news coverage with the confidence to develop new ways of covering the news agenda on digital platforms;
- Confident communication and ability to liaise effectively with both technical and non-technical teams, adopting a calm approach under pressure;
- Self-motivation and strong interpersonal skills essential to build productive relationships with colleagues, internal departments and external stakeholders;
- Determination and drive to succeed, overcome obstacles and to meet the demands of working in a busy news environment; and
- A highly developed news sense with the ability to find original news features and deliver agenda setting journalism.
There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV; here are just a few of the perks for you;
- 25 days paid annual leave and nine public holidays per annum;
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday;
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs;
- Company pension contribution;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Season ticket travel loan;
- On-site occupational health service; and
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts.
To apply please email a full CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Closing date: March 25 2022
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, disabled and/or neuro diverse people and those from a lower socio-economic background.
As a Disability Confident employer, we are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Contact: Rachel Harvie