CLOSING DATE: December 20, 2013
Position ID: EDTGH2MQ
Job Type: Temporary
What’s the job?
Sub-editor (Sports, News and Features)
Where do I work?
The Sun, News UK (Glasgow office)
Who’s my manager?
Why are we here?
To help attract more readers to enjoy our papers and digital products seven days a week. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative content available.
How do we contribute?
By producing tight, accurate copy under intense pressure and having a knack for writing brilliant headlines. The Sun’s standards are extremely high and you’ll need to be confident that you can achieve them.
What’s my personal contribution?
As well as having a way with words, you’ll be self-motivated, brimming with enthusiasm and full of ideas for improving stories. Ideally, you will have at least two years’ experience on a local paper or one year on a national
What are my accountabilities?
* You need to be fully aware of potential legal issues and must always act in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct;
* Striking up good working relationships with colleagues in other areas is vital;
* You’ll be keen to adapt to digital platforms for The Sun and willing to work flexible hours over a seven-day rota pattern;
* Great headlines are what makes The Sun different from other papers and all our subs are master craftsmen and women of the English language;
* Keen attention to detail, and meticulous fact-checking. Ensuring each story is balanced;
* Consulting with reporter/writer in order to resolve issues with copy and keeping middle bench informed on changes that arise as stories develop;
* Able to suggest new angles to news/features desks; and
* Must have and maintain a wide knowledge of current affairs and trends through reading various titles as well as utilising other media platforms daily.
Must-haves (skills and behaviours)
* An obsessive interest in current affairs and popular culture, bags of drive and confidence and a cracking sense of humour;
* Able to work under pressure of tight and frequent deadlines;
* Well organised; and
* Adaptability – able to adapt style dependent on the story.
Applications close midday December 20 2013.
To apply, click here.