A ‘REVOLUTIONARY’ fire suppressant device has been installed in three Nottingham tower blocks.
Blueproof, developed by Bluerad, not only fights fire but, for the first time in the history of fire suppression products, reduces the amount of toxic smoke and fumes.
The installation in Sneinton, Nottingham, was carried out during a £3m refurbishment of Bentinck Court, Manvers Court and Kingston Courts, three, 16-storey tower blocks managed by Nottingham City Homes (NCH).
The opportunity was taken to fit Blueproof in the flats as part of the city’s fire safety measures, while work was already being done to replace radiators in the blocks. The device does not require a power supply. Once in place, it brings a new level of fire safety and protection to the residents.
Says a spokesperson: “Blueproof is proven to follow the movement of a fire and reduce temperatures not only in the room in which it activates, but also in stairwells and on upper floors. It uses water from inside the radiators to limit fire spread and enhance the likelihood of escape and evacuation.
“This is the first time the product has been used in Nottingham properties.”
Ian Rabett, head of Health and Safety at Nottingham City Homes, said: “We are always looking for ways to enhance fire safety for our tenants. Blueproof is not replacing any of our existing fire prevention procedures, we just saw this as a perfect opportunity to test its effectiveness in addition to all other measures.
“Of course, we always hope we will never need to use them, as we do all we can alongside Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service to prevent fire in NCH properties. But this isn’t always possible and sometimes these events sadly do occur.
“If the Blueproof device can make a difference to just one person in the event of a fire, then that’s one life worth saving.”
Adds the spokesperson: “In a report issued by London Fire Brigade (LFB), they stated that 50 per cent of flat dwellers questioned said they would get out of their flat even if the fire was elsewhere in the building.”
Clive Atkinson, for the Bluerad team, said: “Blueproof is a product that will help to make homes and workplaces a safer place to be, not only for the occupiers of properties, but also for the fire fighters who attend burning buildings.
“For a relatively small investment and no ongoing maintenance costs, Blueproof has been shown to protect premises against fire and its effects. Blueproof provides water where and when it is most needed.
“We are confident, following the successful installation and commissioning in Nottingham, that we are ready to roll Blueproof out to protect families, workers, the elderly and even pets across the UK.”
- In official, full-scale fire tests, Blueproof defeated killer smoke for the first time in history. (Babies and pets are even more susceptible to fumes because their breathing is shallower.)
- Blueproof lowered the temperatures by hundreds of degrees within 60-90 seconds of activation.
- Blueproof tests show that just a small quantity of water at the onset of a fire is the most significant.
- The average amount of fluid in a radiator (12L) is four times what is needed to extinguish a fire in an average-sized room as water turns to steam its volume increases by around 1700 times
- Each day in Europe 12 people die and over 100 are injured in house fires.
- London Fire Brigade (LFB) figures showed there were 684 fires in high rise flats in 2014.
- In the UK insurers pay – £3.6 million every day – for damage caused by fires.
- Many people die each year because the battery in their smoke alarm was flat or missing. Blueproof needs no power or testing. 50 per cent of fatalities in Scotland during 2014 had smoke alarms fitted.
- Blueproof prevents ‘flashover’ – making firefighters’ jobs much safer.
For further information please contact Martin Hunt at Tartan Silk PR. Tel: 0131 557 0341, Mob: 07767 401 760, Email: email@example.com
Notes to editors:
Buys Time Saves Lives
MEDIA RELEASE issued by Tartan Silk PR. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/nonstopstories for your very own media releases feed…
To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.
It’s this icon, here. It’s your route straight into the rich archive.
Tartan Silk PR contact details…
Contact: Tartan Silk