SYHA Hostelling Scotland is on the hunt for a design to be used for its official tartan.
As the Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design kicks off, SYHA is putting out the call to anyone with a design flair, including students, fashion and textile designers or artists.
The winning design will be used throughout the SYHA network for soft furnishings including curtains, cushion covers, table cloths, blankets and throws.
The colours used in the design should incorporate red for SYHA and a further palette to reflect the natural landscape of Scotland.
The winner will be awarded life membership of SYHA and a two-night stay for up to four people at any Scottish youth hostel.
The judging panel will be made up of Scottish travel writer, Robin McKelvie, director of the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum Dr Elspeth King and three representatives from the SYHA board and employees.
CEO, Keith Legge, said: “All of our youth hostels have a unique character, but we would like to use a tartan to give a Scottish flavour to each interior.
“Scotland is well known for its innovators and creative talents and we feel that an SYHA tartan will add to the genuine, warm welcome which our guests receive. I’m looking forward to seeing the entries and inspiration behind them.”
A small exhibition of the top designs will also be put on display at Stirling Youth Hostel later in 2016; and will tie in with the VisitScotland’s Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design and Festival of Architecture taking place throughout the year.
For further information, images or to arrange interviews please contact:
Paddy Cuthbert | Littlehouse Media | E: email@example.com / M: 07913 951717.
Jane Mackie | SYHA Hostelling Scotland | 01786 891306, firstname.lastname@example.org / T: 01786 891306
For any queries relating to the competition, please email: email@example.com
SYHA website – https://www.syha.org.uk/
SYHA on Twitter – @syhahostelling – #syhadventure
SYHA on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/syhahostellingscotland
About SYHA Hostelling Scotland
Established in 1931, SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
Format of Tartan Design competition:
Design a tartan for SYHA Hostelling Scotland to be used for interior soft furnishings, e.g. curtains, cushion covers, blankets, throws, duvet covers. The colours used should reflect the natural landscape of Scotland and include red for SYHA.
- An imaginative interpretation of the natural Scottish landscape
- Flair and originality in the design
- A design which will promote SYHA in a positive and creative way
The SYHA judging team will provide feedback on the winning design and runner up.
Entries must be received by Thursday 31st March 2016. A single design board should be submitted (up to A2 maximum), which contains inspiration along with final outcome samples – either woven or printed swatches or CAD designs – and technical specifications of the fabric. A context for the design should be included using no more than 150 words, along with any other appropriate information.
This should be submitted electronically (as Word doc, pdf, or jpeg files) to firstname.lastname@example.org or on a disc /in hardcopy to Tartan Competition, SYHA Hostelling Scotland, 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling, FK8 2JA.
The winner will be awarded life membership of SYHA and a two-night stay for up to four people at any Scottish youth hostel (subject to availability, to be taken before 29 December 2016). The winner will also have the chance to see their design in use at Scottish youth hostels in the future, with credit for the design. A second prize-winner will be awarded an annual membership and a two-night stay for up to two people at any Scottish youth hostel (subject to availability, to be taken before 29 December 2016).
- The competition is promoted by SYHA Hostelling Scotland.
- The closing date for the submission of entries is 17:00 on Thursday 31st March
- Electronic entries should be sent to email@example.com. Hard copy entries should be addressed to: Tartan Competition, SYHA Hostelling Scotland, 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling, FK8 2JA
- Only one entry may be submitted by each entrant.
- It is a condition of entry that SYHA may reproduce and exhibit submissions electronically, reproduce them in reports, in press releases and publications, and use designs and prototypes for exhibition purposes, without requiring further permission from the designer. Acknowledgement will always be given to the designer where possible.
- All entries must be original and the individual entrant’s own work. The winning design will be registered with the Scottish Register of Tartans and should meet their criteria of being a new design, unique to the Register and meet the definition of tartan contained in the Scottish Register of Tartans Act (2008). For further guidance, see https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/.
- The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are as stated and are non-transferable.
- The names of the winner and the runner-up will be publicised on the SYHA Hostelling Scotland website and other marketing materials.
- By submitting an entry the entrant confirms that the entry is all his/her own work and was not created in the course of his/her employment.
- SYHA has the right to take or arrange to have taken photographs of the finalists for promotion of, and publicity and marketing for, SYHA Hostelling Scotland.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by Littlehouse Media. You too can post media releases on allmediascotland.com. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/newsdipper for your very own media releases feed…
To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.
Littlehouse Media contact details…
Contact: Paddy Cuthbert