SOLD-out at the Edinburgh International Festival 2021, Shona the Musical Choir comes fresh from a Fringe Festival run to Eden Court at Inverness.
Based in Edinburgh, the choir sings original songs from African composer and playwright, Neo Vilakazi, who lives and works in Scotland. Shona, as Scottish a name as you can find, is also a tribal name in Zimbabwe.
The Choir’s music and narrative is based on a fictional journey of a young African man sent to Edinburgh for education where he meets and marries a local lass. In this critically acclaimed performance, the voices of Africa and Scotland blend together in the richest of harmonies akin to those of ‘The Lion King’, ‘Ladysmith Black Mambazo’ or Paul Simon’s ‘Graceland’.
Neo Vilakazi saysL “This story and music is inspired by real events and the socio-political turmoil of Robert Mugabe’s rule of Zimbabwe as well as elements of my own experience of life in South Africa and Scotland. This is not a typical choir rendition as we have merged song and dance with new technology by integrating digital projection into our colourful performance.”
Performed by talented artists, the vocals, dancing and acting have been described as “simply stunning” (Scotsman).
“Vilakazi’s lyrics and composition is varied, joyous and breathtaking. Each piece of music has its own energy and is met with equal praise by the audience’s echoing applause” (5* Musical Theatre Review)
Shona the Musical Choir is only on for one performance: Thursday 15th September, 8.00pm at Eden Court, Bishops Rd, Inverness IV3 5SA.
Don’t miss this five-star show – chosen by theatrescotland.com as one of its top ten shows to see this summer – hurry and get your tickets NOW from https://eden-court.co.uk/event/shona-the-musical-choir or tel: 01463 234 234 or in-person at the Box Office!
More details, including dates and locations of other performances this year, are at www.shonathemusical.com. Suitable for ages 12+.
Notes for editors:
To book review tickets for this show, please contact Eden Court on the below contacts:
Richard Bailey – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shanon Richardson – email@example.com
Photo credits – available on request if not supplied already
Photo supplied: ‘Shields – Shona the Musical Choir’ – copyright Neo Productions
NB: Main poster image ‘Queens of Africa’ – copyright Neo Productions
Marketing contact details:
Neo Vilakazi – email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 0775 1789 464
Mhairi Gray – email: email@example.com
Neo Vilakazi – lyricist, script, composer and artistic director
Ramcise Modie (DJ Ramsy) – co-composer/musical producer
Morgan Njobo – co-composer
Tilly Letsholo – choir leader
Declan Randall – production design
Siphosethu Gojo and Mthetheleli Dlakavu – joint choreographers
Neo Productions is an Edinburgh-based, multi-cultural theatre company limited by guarantee (SC266951). The company was established in 2004, to give people from the black and minority ethnic (BAME) population of Scotland opportunities to develop their on-stage and back-stage skills and to promote work by black and minority ethnic artists.
Creative Scotland is the public body that supports the arts, screen and creative industries across all parts of Scotland distributing funding provided by the Scottish Government and The National Lottery. Further information at creativescotland.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Learn more about the value of art and creativity in Scotland and join in at www.ourcreativevoice.scot
About Eden Court:
For more information contact Head of Marketing and Communications – Teresa Bendoris firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook @edencourttheatre
- Twitter @edencourt
- Instagram @edencourttheatrecinema
For interview requests or to arrange picture opportunities, please contact Eden Court marketing department / email@example.com / 01463 239 841
- Eden Court is a registered charity and is the largest multi-arts venue in Scotland housing two theatres, two cinemas, two dance studios and conference and meeting spaces. It presents around 450 live performances and 2000 film screenings every year as well as almost 60 classes a week. This activity attracts an audience of over 300,000 people annually.
- Eden Court runs an extensive creative learning and community engagement programme. As well as the building based programme of weekly classes, youth theatre and youth dance, Eden Court also works with schools across the region. It is the only theatre in Scotland to offer Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) courses in Drama and Dance and an AS Level in Moving Image Arts. These qualification courses are open to pupils from across the Highlands.
- Eden Court is also a Scottish Government partner for Cashback for Communities, delivering its flagship CashBack Highlands programme, where seized criminal assets are redistributed to provide meaningful artistic activity for young people at risk.
- Eden Court is a registered charity and is grateful to receive regular funding from Creative Scotland and the Highland Council.
Shona the Musical Choir 2022 performance dates
Edinburgh – Pleasance @ EICC/Edinburgh International Conference Centre – 10-14 August
Ayr – Gaiety Theatre – 25 August
Inverness – Eden Court – 15 September
Perth – Horsecross/Perth Concert Hall – 16 September
Aberdeen – Music Hall – 17 September
More dates and venues may be still added – visit www.shonathemusical.com for updates or contact us!
Tour dates in Ayr, Inverness, Perth and Aberdeen are supported by Creative Scotland funding.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by TMSA. You too can share your stories (aka press or media releases), on this site. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/scotsbulletin for your very own media releases feed…
TMSA contact details…