New Scottish audio theatre podcast, ‘Stories from The Grey Hill’, launches first season in collaboration with community radio and theatre venues
Season one playwrights:
- Alyssa Osiecki
- Amy Hawes
- Birgit Itse
- Liam Alexandru
- Crystal Galbraith
- Friona Black
- Lila Malkonen
- Phil Baarda
- Sarah Hauch
- Susan Chaney
- Vincent Maguire
- Benjamin Harris
Season one cast:
- Karen Barthe
- Sarah Meikle
- Rhona Ashwood
- Jen McDonald
- Michael Lorsong
- Hamish Wylie
- Tom Davidson
- Simon Messer
- Dale McFadzean
- Adam Buksh
- Fraser Bishop
- Gemma Cathcart
- Cameron Gow
- Liam Barr
SCOTLAND welcomes a new audio theatre podcast, ‘Stories from The Grey Hill,’ showcasing 12 months of riveting audio drama by playwrights nationwide.
Produced by Barry Robertson, company director of The Grey Hill, the podcast will unveil a new play each month, with weekly episodes ensuring a diverse production every month. Season one boasts a year’s worth of engaging content.
Barry said: “This project involved collaboration with 12 playwrights and 14 actors. The production was a labour of love, and I’m thrilled with the result. Releasing a year’s worth of content weekly on the podcast is truly exciting.”
The podcast is globally accessible on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Patreon. Additionally, subscriptions are available through the websites of two esteemed Scottish theatre venues, The Gaiety Theatre in Ayr and The Theatre Royal in Dumfries, directly supporting these cultural venues.
The podcast adopts a hybrid model of free and paid content. The first week of each month offers free digital and community radio access to that month’s content.
Subsequent episodes are behind a paywall.
Barry explained: “Our approach ensures accessibility. The initial free week provides a taste of the story, and we hope that subscribing for as little as £4.99 a month will support us and pave the way for season two in 2024, along with access to interviews and more.”
Based in Ayrshire, ‘The Grey Hill’ is a digital theatre company with nine audio theatre productions available, globally. The organisation aims to broaden its audience reach in collaboration with community radio stations, including 3TFM, Arran Sound, DG9 Community Radio, and Ayrshire Online.
Barry emphasised: “The live arts sector has faced challenges, and we believe theatre content should transcend physical boundaries. In partnership with community radio, we will deliver our content through our show ‘Insights’, featuring weekly on four community radio stations.
Archie Edgar, station manager at 3TFM Community Radio, expressed support, stating: “We are pleased to support Barry and The Grey Hill, offering our listeners varied shows to broadcast.”
Mhairi Smeir, editor at Arran Sound, added: “Arransound.com is delighted to showcase and support new theatre writing through collaboration with The Grey Hill.”
Lian Moore, DG9 Community Radio, stated: “We are delighted to collaborate with The Grey Hill, providing our listeners with unique content via DG9Radio.co.uk on Sunday evenings at 8pm.”
Season one dates:
- OCT 23: Sarah Hauck – ‘Starr Crossed’
- NOV: Phil Baarda – ‘Bone Cave Man’
- DEC: Birgit Itse – ‘What is it we keep talking about, Pure Baltic and Time of Our Lives’
- JAN 24: Benjamin Harris- ‘The Wolf of Badenoch’
- FEB: Susan Chaney – ‘Beyond Ash Lagoon’, ‘First Love’ and ‘The Precptory’
- MAR: Alyssa Osiecki – ‘Essential Work Only’
- APR: Crystal Galbraith – ‘Prides a Riot’
- MAY: Fiona Black – ‘Super Seniors’
- JUN: Liam Alexandru – ‘Waiting for Mary’, ‘The Eulogy’ and ‘A Matter of Time’
- JUL: Lila Malkonen – “‘ales of the Ferry Girl’
- AUG: Amy Hawes – ‘Gameshow’
- SEP: Vincent Maguire – ‘Passport for a Terrorist’, ‘Leaving This Shore’ and ‘Mick McGrory and The Crickets Stayed Home in Lubbock’
Notes for editors:
- The Grey Hill is a production company creating digital theatre first, with nine plays produced, including works by Catherine Czerkawska and Iain Heggie;
- Barry Robertson, founder of The Grey Hill and Resident Entrepreneur for Creative Informatics in Edinburgh, is a recognised social entrepreneur;
- Stories From The Grey Hill is a podcast supporting 12 playwrights with audio theatre productions for a year, accessible worldwide and on community radio stations. Each playwright has one month to showcase their work, with the first episode provided free. The podcast is available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Patreon, and via The Gaiety Online Store and Dumfries Royal Plus Store;
- Insights podcast is a weekly podcast featuring audio theatre, news, interviews, What’s on and Musical Theatre songs. Season three is exclusive to Spotify customers and community radio stations; and
- Community radio stations: 3TFM, Arran Sound, DG9 Community Radio, Ayrshire Online Radio.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by The Grey Hill. You too can share your stories (aka press or media releases), on this site. Email here for more information.
Check out twitter.com/scotsbulletin for your very own media releases feed…
The Grey Hill contact details…