ARCHIAL one of the country’s largest architectural practices and a member of the global Ingenium Group of companies, has won a prestigious Civic Trust Award for its design for the £10.5 million pioneering Small Animal Hospital for the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow.
Says a spokesperson: “The building has previously won a RIBA Regional Award, the Supreme Award from the Glasgow Institute of Architects, the RIAS Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award, Gold at the 2010 Roses Design Awards and was highly commended at the 2010 Galvanizing Awards.”
Located at the entrance to the grounds of the Garscube Estate, Glasgow, the Small Animal Hospital provides state-of-the-art services for animal owners and practitioners throughout Scotland and northern England, including what is recognised to be the most advanced diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical techniques.
Russell Baxter, of Archial Architects, said: “We’re delighted with this latest recognition for the Small Animal Hospital.
“One of our chief concerns when conceiving the design for this facility was how to create a large hospital building without ruining the beautiful green space for which the Garscube Estate is renowned.
“Essentially, our solution involved lifting up the ground, peeling off the grass and placing the new building underneath.
“Since various aspects of the new facility did not require natural light, this design solution was able to meet the needs of the hospital whilst maintaining the integrity of the location.
“In order to let daylight in to public areas, an innovative ‘crystal’ glass cupola, lit with different colours at night, sits within the building’s sloping grass roof.”
Adds the spokesperson: “The Civic Trust Awards scheme was established in 1959 to recognise outstanding architecture, planning and design in the built environment. The building was officially opened by John Swinney MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth, last July.”
For further information please contact:
Russell Baxter T: 0141 204 6500
Issued on behalf of Archial by Liquorice Media tel 0141 561 4018 www.liquorice-media.com
Date 7 March 2011
Notes to Editors
- Archial is an international architectural specialist with public and private-sector clients. Its diverse portfolio includes work in corporate, education, government, healthcare, industrial, mixed-use, residential, retail and transport sectors and it employs approximately 300 employees in offices throughout England and Scotland.
- The award-winning Archial organisation has been known for delivering intelligent solutions that combine creative excellence with commercial success.
- Delivering global building solutions, the 900 employees of the privately held Ingenium Group of companies offer an extensive range of architectural, engineering, land use and development planning, interior design, project management, construction, design-build and partnership services through offices in Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States, the Middle East, and Asia.
- It has a broad and diverse portfolio of completed work within the commercial, government, transportation and lifestyle sectors, comprising some of the largest building projects in the world.
- The Ingenium Group member company brands include Archial, Alsop Sparch, NORR, Giffels, CION and Westpro.
- For more information: www.theingeniumgroup.com.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Liquorice Media. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.