COMMENTING on the latest figures released yesterday (9th June) by the SNP, which show a reduction in the number of social houses lost to the socially-rented sector since the party came to power in 2007, the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations (SFHA) said it was pleased to see the sharp reduction in Right to Buy sales.
Says a spokesperson: “The figures show that in 2006/07, 16,262 socially rented homes were lost to the sector through the Right to Buy – compared to 3,744 in 2010/11 (1)”
Andy Young, policy manager at the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations, said: “While the SFHA is pleased to see a sharp reduction in Right to Buy sales resulting from Scottish Government policy alongside the prevailing economic circumstances, we feel that there is currently a perfect set of circumstances which allow for a line to be drawn under the Right to Buy in Scotland once and for all.
“The SFHA has campaigned long and hard for its abolition and we were delighted to hear the Housing Minister announce it as one of two potential reforms in the Scottish Government consultation at our annual conference.
“Right to Buy has had its day but now has no place in an affordable rented sector that is striving to meet the growing housing needs of Scotland’s population.
“The stark fact is that in 21st century Scotland the demand for rented accommodation is now far outstripping supply.”
For further information, contact Kirsten Walker on t: 0141 567 6221 m: 0788 788 8348 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website at www.sfha.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter @sfha_hq
Find us on Facebook SFHA- We’re Housing Scotland
1. Recently published figures show the number of homes bought under the modernised and preserved right to buy in recent years. Columns are as follows: Financial Year, Applications under Preserved Right to Buy, Applications under Modernised Right to Buy and Total
2002-03 28,245 11 28,256
2003-04 20,700 546 21,246
2004-05 20,808 1,103 21,911
2005-06 16,462 1,486 17,948
2006-07 14,291 1,971 16,262
2007-08 11,328 2,027 13,355
2008-09 4,826 1,481 6,307
2009-10 3,442 1,292 7,734
2010-11 2,679 1,065 3,744
2. The Scottish Government’s consultation on further changes to the right to buy can be found at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2012/06/7065
3. The SFHA was established in 1975 and has around 170 members providing affordable housing and wider community services in Scotland, as well as a further 200 commercial members. The SFHA is owned by its membership and exists to support the work of housing associations and co-operatives in Scotland by providing services, advice and good practice guidance.
4. The SFHA is the voice of the principal builders and managers of new affordable housing for rent in Scotland. Housing Associations own and manage around 40 per cent of the country’s affordable rented housing stock, over a quarter of a million homes across Scotland.
5. Housing associations and co-operatives are not-for-profit bodies regulated by the Scottish Housing Regulator.
PRESS RELEASE issued by the SFHA. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka Press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email email@example.com for more information.
Contact: Kirsten Walker
Phone: 0141 567 6221