NEARLY three-quarters of people who have received workplace First Aid training have needed to use their skills within a year, a new survey by the British Red Cross has revealed.
According to the charity’s Big Red Survey, the respondents dealt with emergencies both in the work environment and externally, helping to save the lives of colleagues, friends and strangers.
The survey also revealed that 77 per cent of people of those responsible for first aid at work agreed that good training was essential in order to be effective.
“This shows that there is an everyday need for life-saving skills, and non-specialists are often the first line of treatment. That is why it is essential for everyone to have first aid training,” says Jude Holmes, head of education marketing for the British Red Cross
“It is heartening that most first aiders recognise the value of quality training.The Red Cross offer a wide range of unique learning opportunities to suit individuals and companies whether it be online or face to face courses,” she added.
Additional findings by the Red Cross’ Big Red Survey show that head injuries (30 per cent) and broken bones (30 per cent) are the highest areas were first aid skills have been put into practice.
The British Red Cross has been providing First aid at work courses for over 30 years and has designed a variety of specialised courses for a wide-range of workplace scenarios and industries.
The charity also offers a free First Aid app available on the Android Market, iTunes and Blackberry Appworld.
The popular nine month-old app – boasting of over one million downloads – features simple, easy-to-understand advice on 18 everyday first aid scenarios, as well as tips on how to prepare for emergencies, from severe weather to road traffic accidents.
For more information on the British Red Cross please visit: http://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk or follow us on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/britishredcross
Notes to editors
- For press enquires, images or to arrange an interview, please contact Henry Makiwa on 02078777479 / HMakiwa@redcross.org.uk
- The British Red Cross’ Big Red Survey polled over 3500 respondents across the UK.
- For more on the British Red Cross’ Big Red Survey please visit http://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk/
- To download the British Red Cross first aid app, please visit the Android Market, iTunes and Blackberry Appworld.
- The app has been optimised for Apple iPhone, Android mobile and Blackberry mobile devices, but will also work on Apple iPad, Apple iPod Touch, Android Tablets and Blackberry PlayBooks.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by the British Red Cross (Scotland). You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.
Contact: Henry Makiwa
Phone: 020 7877 7479